All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
srivatsa

F1 Visa TWIC Card issues

Hi Guys,

I am a student on Valid F-1 visa.

I am in my OPT period right now.

I have a job offer from a company but it needs me to enter a facility which required a TWIC CARD.

I have gone through the TWIC eligibility and requirements page:

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/pdf/twic/immigration_status_documents_10-11-13.pdf.

And also been to the center for enrollment and talked to the UES guys.

They need a valid passport, VISA and a MARAD Sponsorship letter to issue a TWIC card for F-1 students.

I have asked around many offices on how to get a MARAD Sponsorship letter. I haven't been able to obtain one. Have you guys gone through this before. Do i need to get a lawyer to get this resolved?

I am really finding this difficult as nobody is able to help me and I will lose this job offer if I cant apply for a TWIC Card.

Thank you guys.

F-1* *Only those sponsored by the U.S. Maritime Administration (MARAD) and must be accompanied by a letter from MARAD Only F-1’s (Students) enrolled at U.S. Merchant Marine Academy or comparable State maritime academy and sponsored by MARAD Canadian Citizens 1. MARAD sponsorship letter AND 2. I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) either paper-based or electronic printout AND 3. One of the following: a. Canadian Passport OR b. NEXUS Card (identifying Canadian citizenship) OR c. SENTRI Card (identifying Canadian citizenship) OR d. FAST Card (identifying Canadian citizenship) OR e. Enhanced Driver’s License Everyone Else One of the following: 1. Foreign Passport AND Visa AND MARAD sponsorship letter OR 2. Foreign Passport AND I-797A with I-94 at the bottom (demonstrating approved change in status) AND MARAD sponsorship letter

Are you enrolled as a student at "U.S. Merchant Marine Academy or comparable State maritime academy and sponsored by MARAD"? The school should be able to provide guidance on how to apply to MARAD to get the sponsorhip letter.

No I am not enrolled as a student at a State Maritime Academy. I was enrolled as a Masters Thesis student for the Computer Systems Program. But I have a valid EAD card to work officially in the United States for a year. Does that not matter? I also just have to enter a facility which is a TWIC facility. I never have to go on ships or things like that. Is there any way if I am not enrolled as a student for the maritime academy, I can obtain a TWIC Card? I need this or I would lose this amazing job opportunity and have to go job hunting again. :( I am sorry but I desperately need to know If I can get a lawyer or if I could resolve this in any other way.

Thanks for your reply. Also thanks for the time and consideration to find this out. I have been calling a lot of people and this is the first response I have got in a long time. Have even approached the MARAD organisation but everyone is blocking me at some place or the other. Does not having a valid EAD card give me authorization to work in a TWIC facility?

Thank you for all the help provided. 

The two are separate issues. EAD has nothing to do with TWIC. The TWIC requirements are from the link that you sent. You can see it yourself.

The only approach as I see it is to appeal to the employer to waive this requirement if it is not essential in performing the job duties.

No he can not waive off the requirement. I have already spoken to them about this.

Ya I know the TWIC requirements are a different issue all together. But everything is turning into a vicious circle for me.

Thank you for your time. 

No he can not waive off the requirement. I have already spoken to them about this.

Ya I know the TWIC requirements are a different issue all together. But everything is turning into a vicious circle for me.

Thank you for your time. 

It is obvious you can't get a TWIC card. So you can't accept that job offer.

If I wanted such a reply I would not be asking for help right? I get the end result can be that I cant accept the job offer.

Its difficult in such a scenario to get a job in the oil and gas industry. I was asking for help or any method through which I could bag this offer.

Anyhow thank you for the reply, I am still trying to find a solution and knocking on doors...

Wish luck for me..!!!

The only answer is that you can't take the job, since you can't get a TWIC card.
Reality has a habit of not caring if you like it or not.

Hello Everyone!

I am aF1 student, doing an internship with an EPC company which has projects in downstream Oil and Gas. I am highly interested in converting internship to full time. But the company requires TWIC card for its employees. 

I will highly appreciate if anyone can suggest/advice/comment possible ways of getting TWIC card.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Hi Srivatsa,

I have the same query. Were you able to find a solution. If so, I would be grateful if you would please let me know. Thanks.

Hello, 

Anybody find a solution to obtaining a TWIC, while on F1 visa?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks