applying H1B/H4 Extension and H4 EAD Question 18

newpirate

Hi All,

My H1B and my spouse H4 is expiring in mid Aug 2015 and I am planning to apply for H1B/H4 extension and H4 EAD application together for my spouse and I have a doubt on Question 18. (Receipt number of principal H1B spouse most recent 797 notice of approval for I-129)

Since I am applying for my H1B extension along with H4 EAD application do I provide my old receipt number which is expiring soon or old receipt number expiring soon and add a line saying H1B extension is applied along with H4 EAD so that I can get H4 EAD approved till my new H1B expiration date?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Thanks for your response, I am filing H1/H4 extension along with H4 EAD application so I don't have an extension receipt notice. Do you suggest me to wait till I get the extension notice so that I can include in EAD application and file later.

Yes. Because EAD application will not be processed before H4 extension approval.

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I am on an H4 visa and would like to apply for my EAD. My husband (H1B) has received his I-140 approval and we would like to go ahead with my H4 EAD application. Our visas will expire end of this year on 20th of November, 2017 (11/20/17), and my husband's company will start the visa extension process in May 2017. The lawyers have presented us with 2 options-

1. To apply for H4 EAD now and wait the duration of time it will take for the processind (90 days or more) and later apply for the H4 EAD extension on getting our EAD approval (as it will only be issued till our current visa expiry date- 11/20/2017)

2. Apply for H4 EAD+  H1B extension+H4 extension together in May 2017 with premium processing, which can be received in 15-20 business days. In this case though, the H4 EAD that we receive will have its start date November 2017 onward. 

My husband and I are in a dilemma of which option to choose as i am anxious to get into the working space as soon as possible. Nevertheless, we would like to reduce our wait time as much as possible and avoid extra steps in order to get to our final goal (H4 EAD approval) I have read in numerous forums that  H4 EAD processing takes longer than 90 days and can take up to 180 days (6 months) or more, and since the application has no premium processing, one has to wait it out.

Can anyone please tell me if they have received their H4 EAD approval  within the above mentioned amount of time (3-6 months) and whether it is the better option for us to apply for it now or should we rather stick with option 2?

Thank you for your patience.

Archived