H1b renewal Administrative processing in Tijuana Mexico

smokytest

Hi,

I got Administrative processing in Tijuana Mexico for H1b renewal. The VO mentioned that one of their system is not updated with my data and it may take a day or two to get the same before they can print visa for me. Is anyone having the same issues and are currently stuck in Tijuana?

Please let me know.

Hi,

Yes I got my passport. It was PIMS data that got upfated yesterday (6/4/2015) and printed my visa today (6/5/2015). 

I emailed embassy yday and got immediate response at around 2 saying I can pick up passport today at 3PM.

I would suggest anyone who has joined their employer recently to wait a bit if they can for the PIMS to get updated as its an automated system and would not always get updated in time.

Hi 

Congratulation! Do you know if the visa officers in Tijuana asking about Driver's license (like they do in Canada) ?

The reason I'm asking is, I have my DL from previous residing state and I didn't update it to the current living state. 

Also, can you please share your experience (visa interview questions)?

Thanks

Ravi.

There are many logs with the detailed information for entering Mexico and staying there.

Please check this link for more info.

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/85971-h1b-visa-renewal-tijuana-mexico/?hl=tijuana

I will try to highlight the issues I had and the points that are not highlighted in other blogs.

Here is my Brief Summary of Experience in Tijuana:

Tranportation: Flew from Bay area in the  morning and landed at Sandiego airport at 12:00 Pm on Sunday. took 992 bus, right outside the airport and got down at American Plaza (airport to American plaza journey- around 10 mins, cost: exact change $2.50). 
               From American plaza,  took blue line trolley. there are boards on each side of the track indicating the destinations. I stood on the left side facing Star Bucks to catch San Ysidro trolley. You can see the trolley ticket machines which accepts credit/debit cards. Charge: $2.50. boarded trolley and got down at the last stop which is san ysidro, journey time: around 40 mins.  After crossing the border, you will see yellow cabs. I shared my cab with a friend I met in Trolley and it costed me around 70 Pesos,I reached Hotel Real Del Rio around 3:00 PM.

I had issues with my Card as it was blocked for transactions outside US. Luckily, I had vonage, so called the customer care and unblocked it. 

Hotel is pretty good, I got it for 69$/day (2 bed )but there will be additional 3% service tax for using my card outside US. Make sure to sort these out with your bank before you leave the country.

Around Tijuana:

I definitely had issues with food as I am vegetarian and had to go out to Tandoor (indian Restaurant at walk-able distance) every time to get some nice food. 

Also make sure to buy Water on your way as hotel provides only couple of small bottles as complimentary. 
A big Water bottle costs around 14 Pesos (a dollar ) . There is a OXXO just across the street of Hotel Real Del Rio. it is like  Gas Station in US, you can get most of the stuff there.  Banamex bank is beside the OXXO and can withdraw money only in Pesos.

If you need anything for groceries there is a grocery store(don't remember the name) . Walk straight up from OXXO cross the circle of Abraham Lincoln and stay on left , you will see it on your left before the next circle with Inca Statue.

If you keep heading straight you will see Mall on the right with lot other shops around. 

In case you need to withdraw money in Dollars, there is only one bank called Banorteyou can find it on the way to Mall.
Mall is actually beautiful in the night. good for shopping but for movie you should know spanish ;)

ASC:      On Monday I had the Appointment at 1:00 PM , Reached an Hour early and they let me in without any issues. It was very straight forward and was quick. took around 15 mins to comeout. Document needed are DS160 Confirmation,passport and Fee Reciept   but I carried all of them just in case. 

Interview:

Had my interview on Wednesday at 11:00 AM. Reached there by 9:30AM and had to wait an hour.

They let me in around 10:45AM, First building is for security check and then sent me to second building. In the next building the document verification is the first step. They ask for I797, Passport, DS160 appointment confirmation. After that is finger print verification and then sent me for interview counter. Had to wait for like 5 mins before a VO called my token number.

Interview:

Me: Good morning officer

VO: Good morning.

me: Handed over Ds160 confirmation, I797, passport

VO: Who is employer?

Me: XXXX

VO who is the Client?

VO: is there a third party in between?

Me: Yes, I have a vendor, told the name

VO: What is your designation?

ME: xxxxx

VO: How do you Communicate to your Employer?

Me: I report my status weekly over phone.

VO: Do you Report to Vendor?

Me: Apart from reporting to my employer, I report to Client Manager XXX

Vo:When did you Join your Employer?

Me: Answered

VO:When did you join the client?

Me:Answered.

VO typed something for 5 to 10 mins, Handed over a Non Immigrant rights handbook. continued typing for another 5 mins

then VO went to talk to someone. Came back and told me that one of the system(PIMS) is not updated with my information. It will take a day or two to update so I may have to come back. VO asked me for Phone number, provided my hotel number ,as I was not on roaming and requested them to send me a email once the visa is ready.

VO was really helpful and understanding!

I saw the passport in the window and asked if I have to carry it with me? Vo mentioned if I have any other Identification then they can keep the passport with them and print the visa once the data becomes available. I returned the passport to the VO and left as I had DL with me as Identification.

On Thursday, I sent a follow up mail to embassy, got response after couple of hours saying that the visa will be ready by Friday 3PM. 

Back to US:

Let me Explain the Border crossing in detail as I didn't find much help with any of the blogs and it was really a hectic and confusing thing. so will try to keep it as detailed as possible. The details are for getting I-94 Permit and yes you need a hard copy of I-94 Permit before entering US.

Left hotel at 9:00 AM in the morning to stand in line for border crossing. the line was all the way back to the roads. stood in the right most line... Waited for around 2 hours to reach the shaded area where the line divides in to "General Public", "Ready Lane", "Sentri". Sentri and Ready lane are in one lane, left is ready lane and the right is Sentri. We need to be on right.

The moment you reach border. there is small divider in the lane that allow the people entering from US to Mexico to cross the border.. there is a building to the right that has stairs and you can see people coming down from there to enter mexico. YOU DONT HAVE to go there. straight ahead you can see another building with iron gates plus rolling Gates and security guards . Dont stand in the sentri line, You need to pass through all the lanes from right side and go to that building.

outside the building gate,  I was asked to wait for around 15 mins in line. Then they let me in with batch of people to sit outside the Permit building. waited for another half hour. 

Then the same batch of people are sent to the I-94 permit building. Had exact change of 6$, bought I-94 and then stood in the line. It was too long of wait as it was during the lunch time. I waited more than two hour in the line to be called. 

Once the officer called me, gave i-797, passport. officer verified few details and gave I-94. it just took 5 mins, 

came out of building and took right to go to customs, Followed " Tavellers lane" and stood in the line, It took 5 mins for me. They checked the I-94 and allowed me cross, after that I placed my language in the scanning roller. Came out of the building and was in US!!!

hope this helps for all those who are planning their visit.

Just carry all the documents from your employer and be confident.

Good Luck!!

There are many logs with the detailed information for entering Mexico and staying there.

Please check this link for more info.

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/85971-h1b-visa-renewal-tijuana-mexico/?hl=tijuana

I will try to highlight the issues I had and the points that are not highlighted in other blogs.

Here is my Brief Summary of Experience in Tijuana:

Tranportation: Flew from Bay area in the  morning and landed at Sandiego airport at 12:00 Pm on Sunday. took 992 bus, right outside the airport and got down at American Plaza (airport to American plaza journey- around 10 mins, cost: exact change $2.50). 
               From American plaza,  took blue line trolley. there are boards on each side of the track indicating the destinations. I stood on the left side facing Star Bucks to catch San Ysidro trolley. You can see the trolley ticket machines which accepts credit/debit cards. Charge: $2.50. boarded trolley and got down at the last stop which is san ysidro, journey time: around 40 mins.  After crossing the border, you will see yellow cabs. I shared my cab with a friend I met in Trolley and it costed me around 70 Pesos,I reached Hotel Real Del Rio around 3:00 PM.

I had issues with my Card as it was blocked for transactions outside US. Luckily, I had vonage, so called the customer care and unblocked it. 

Hotel is pretty good, I got it for 69$/day (2 bed )but there will be additional 3% service tax for using my card outside US. Make sure to sort these out with your bank before you leave the country.

Around Tijuana:

I definitely had issues with food as I am vegetarian and had to go out to Tandoor (indian Restaurant at walk-able distance) every time to get some nice food. 

Also make sure to buy Water on your way as hotel provides only couple of small bottles as complimentary. 
A big Water bottle costs around 14 Pesos (a dollar ) . There is a OXXO just across the street of Hotel Real Del Rio. it is like  Gas Station in US, you can get most of the stuff there.  Banamex bank is beside the OXXO and can withdraw money only in Pesos.

If you need anything for groceries there is a grocery store(don't remember the name) . Walk straight up from OXXO cross the circle of Abraham Lincoln and stay on left , you will see it on your left before the next circle with Inca Statue.

If you keep heading straight you will see Mall on the right with lot other shops around. 

In case you need to withdraw money in Dollars, there is only one bank called Banorteyou can find it on the way to Mall.
Mall is actually beautiful in the night. good for shopping but for movie you should know spanish ;)

ASC:      On Monday I had the Appointment at 1:00 PM , Reached an Hour early and they let me in without any issues. It was very straight forward and was quick. took around 15 mins to comeout. Document needed are DS160 Confirmation,passport and Fee Reciept   but I carried all of them just in case. 

Interview:

Had my interview on Wednesday at 11:00 AM. Reached there by 9:30AM and had to wait an hour.

They let me in around 10:45AM, First building is for security check and then sent me to second building. In the next building the document verification is the first step. They ask for I797, Passport, DS160 appointment confirmation. After that is finger print verification and then sent me for interview counter. Had to wait for like 5 mins before a VO called my token number.

Interview:

Me: Good morning officer

VO: Good morning.

me: Handed over Ds160 confirmation, I797, passport

VO: Who is employer?

VO who is the Client?

VO: is there a third party in between?

Me: Yes, I have a vendor, told the name

VO: What is your designation?

ME: xxxxx

VO: How do you Communicate to your Employer?

Me: I report my status weekly over phone.

VO: Do you Report to Vendor?

Me: Apart from reporting to my employer, I report to Client Manager XXX

Vo:When did you Join your Employer?

Me: Answered

VO:When did you join the client?

Me:Answered.

VO typed something for 5 to 10 mins, Handed over a Non Immigrant rights handbook. continued typing for another 5 mins

then VO went to talk to someone. Came back and told me that one of the system(PIMS) is not updated with my information. It will take a day or two to update so I may have to come back. VO asked me for Phone number, provided my hotel number ,as I was not on roaming and requested them to send me a email once the visa is ready.

VO was really helpful and understanding!

I saw the passport in the window and asked if I have to carry it with me? Vo mentioned if I have any other Identification then they can keep the passport with them and print the visa once the data becomes available. I returned the passport to the VO and left as I had DL with me as Identification.

On Thursday, I sent a follow up mail to embassy, got response after couple of hours saying that the visa will be ready by Friday 3PM. 

Back to US:

Let me Explain the Border crossing in detail as I didn't find much help with any of the blogs and it was really a hectic and confusing thing. so will try to keep it as detailed as possible. The details are for getting I-94 Permit and yes you need a hard copy of I-94 Permit before entering US.

Left hotel at 9:00 AM in the morning to stand in line for border crossing. the line was all the way back to the roads. stood in the right most line... Waited for around 2 hours to reach the shaded area where the line divides in to "General Public", "Ready Lane", "Sentri". Sentri and Ready lane are in one lane, left is ready lane and the right is Sentri. We need to be on right.

The moment you reach border. there is small divider in the lane that allow the people entering from US to Mexico to cross the border.. there is a building to the right that has stairs and you can see people coming down from there to enter mexico. YOU DONT HAVE to go there. straight ahead you can see another building with iron gates plus rolling Gates and security guards . Dont stand in the sentri line, You need to pass through all the lanes from right side and go to that building.

outside the building gate,  I was asked to wait for around 15 mins in line. Then they let me in with batch of people to sit outside the Permit building. waited for another half hour. 

Then the same batch of people are sent to the I-94 permit building. Had exact change of 6$, bought I-94 and then stood in the line. It was too long of wait as it was during the lunch time. I waited more than two hour in the line to be called. 

Once the officer called me, gave i-797, passport. officer verified few details and gave I-94. it just took 5 mins, 

came out of building and took right to go to customs, Followed " Tavellers lane" and stood in the line, It took 5 mins for me. They checked the I-94 and allowed me cross, after that I placed my language in the scanning roller. Came out of the building and was in US!!!

hope this helps for all those who are planning their visit.

Just carry all the documents from your employer and be confident.

Good Luck!!

Archived