H1B Drop Box eligible as per their website. Confused with common knowledge.

dahibada

Hello all,

As it is common knowledge that if your H1b Visa is still valid then you can put it in drop box getting waiver for interview. In that the most common caveat that I have heard is that your stamped visa should be from same employer. i.e if you change employer but your visa is still valid then you have to go for interview.

My condition fits in this specific caveat and was thinking I will have to go for interview. When I was filling information for scheduling interview I was asked series of questions and based on that it was determined that I qualify for the “Drop Box” Interview Waiver Program. I am surprised and confused considering common conception of change of employer caveat. I was not asked any question about change in employer. Here are questions I was asked:-

Q: Do you have a previous H-1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee)?

Answer: Yes. My current visa from my previous employer is still valid and I have it. With employer the visa has not changed, but 797 has. 

Q: Were you denied any kind of U.S. visa after your most recent U.S. visa was issued?

Answer: No

Q: Is your previous H-1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee) still valid?

Answer: Yes

Q:Was your most recent H-1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee) issued in India after January 1, 2008?

Answer: Yes

Result:

Congratulations! You qualify for the “Drop Box” Interview Waiver Program. Please do not schedule an appointment at the Visa Application Center or U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

When you click “Continue” to proceed with your application.

Step 1. Print two copies of the DropBox Confirmation Letter.
Step 2. Drop off your listed documents at one of our 11 Document Drop-Off locations.
          Current passport and any old passports with a U.S. visa.
          One photograph (per U.S. visa specification).
          Photocopy of form I-797.

Note: Using the Interview Waiver Program does not guarantee visa issuance. The U.S. Embassy/Consulate retains the right to call an applicant in for an interview, if necessary.

Anyone if you can share your experience or valid information on this matter to help me clear my confusion is deeply appreciated.

Hello,

Just talked to US travel docs customer service. They mentioned that I do qualify for the "INTERVIEW WAIVER PROGRAM "DROP-BOX" ". The person said that there has been recent updates for the criteria in the Drop-Box eligibility and and as per new criteria there is no such mandate that the Visa needs to be of same petitioner. The person mentioned that the updated criteria is on their website here at Qualification section. Here is excerpt of that qualification section. 

Source: http://ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp

Qualifications

You may submit your visa application at a Team Stanley location as either an Interview Waiver or Drop-Box submission and proceed without a consular interview if you meet all of the following qualifications:

INTERVIEW WAIVER PROGRAM "DROP-BOX" CHECKLIST

If you can answer “yes” to all of the following questions, you qualify for our Interview Waiver Program “Drop-box”. You do not need to schedule an appointment at a Visa Application Center. Please log in, create your profile, proceed with your application, and print two copies of the submission letter. Drop off your passport along with the listed documents mentioned on the submission letter at one of our 11 service centers.

Eligibility Criteria for all applicants except child below 14 years of age and applicant above 80 years of age or older:

• I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which i wish to apply
  • My most recent visa was issued in India
  • I received my visa after January 1, 2008
  • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
  • I have no refusals for a visa in any class after my most recent visa issuance
  • If I am applying for an H or L (individual) visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 12 months.

OR

• If I am applying for any other class of visa, my prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 48 months.
  • Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify for the Interview Waiver Program, but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.

Eligibility Criteria for Child below 14 years of age:

• I am applying before my 14th birthday.

Note: Children under 14 must submit a photocopy of each parent’s passport biographic information page. If either parent has a visa, you should also submit a photocopy of each parent’s visa. If no parent has a visa and no parent is applying for one, then you should provide documentation regarding the purpose of the trip and a photocopy of the visa of the accompanying adult.

Eligibility criteria for applicants over 80 years of age:

• I am applying on or after 80th birthday
  • My most recent visa application was not refused.
INTERVIEW WAIVER PROGRAM CHECKLIST

If you can answer “yes” to all of the following questions, you may qualify for the Interview Waiver Program. Please schedule an appointment at a Visa Application Center to have your photograph taken and fingerprints collected.

Eligibility Criteria for all applicants:

• I have a previous U.S. visa in the same class as the visa for which I wish to renew
  • My most recent visa was issued in India
  • I received my visa after August 1, 2004 but before January 2, 2008
  • My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was issued on or after my 14th birthday
  • I have no refusals for a visa in any category after my most recent visa issuance
  • My prior visa in the same class is still valid or expired within the last 48 months.

• Note: Blanket L1 visa applicants do not qualify for Interview Waiver Program, but Blanket L2 spouses are eligible.

Note: Using the interview waiver or drop-box service does not guarantee visa issuance. In some cases, you may be required to appear for a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, for example, if you submit an incomplete and/or inaccurate application. Submit your application well in advance of your planned travel to allow for the possibility that a visa interview will be necessary.

• 4 months later...

Archived