Renew passport before stamping or entering ?

USADreams

My passport is expiring in September 2016 . I have my Petition begin date as May 15th 2015 and End date April 2018 .

1. Should I wait for new passport to get stamped to get entire petition period of 3 years ? 

2. If I get stamped and travel will I get I-94 only up to passport expiry and not entire 3 years?

3. Even if I get stamped and travel now I have to visit India again in October for a family wedding . Is it worth it to renew in September 2015 get passport renewed and then go for stamping and return in October ?

4. If I reenter with new passport will previous I-94 have any effect on duration of new I-94 ?

I am working as contractor from India at the moment so it doesn't affect me anyway financially . Will really appreciate your input . 

Thanks

1. Should I wait for new passport to get stamped to get entire petition period of 3 years ? 

-- You will get visa expirty till petition end date. Visa expiry date is not dependent on passport validity.

Once you renew your passport you can use your valid passport and valid visa on a expired passport to enter US. 

2. If I get stamped and travel will I get I-94 only up to passport expiry and not entire 3 years?

-  You will get I-94 till passport expiry, but if lucky Immigration officer may give I94 till petition end date.

And you have to travel outside of US with your new passport and re-enter to extend your H1B.

3. Even if I get stamped and travel now I have to visit India again in October for a family wedding . Is it worth it to renew in September 2015 get passport renewed and then go for stamping and return in October ?

- If you are planning to come in US now then go for stamping with your current passport and you can renew your passport in US easily when you enter US. Passport renewal in US is far more easier than in INDIA.

4. If I reenter with new passport will previous I-94 have any effect on duration of new I-94 ?

Your I94 validity will be either current passport expiry date or  petition end date ; whichever is earlier.

Archived