Spouse Name change in Indian passport - After Divorce and 2nd marriage.

Neo007

Dear All,

I am on H1 visa, and have my passport printed with my first spouse name .I have got divorced from the ex-spouse (indian) and have got married to my current spouse (indian).

I am currently in OH,USA and want to understand the procedure to apply online for the changing the name of old spouse and adding the new spouse name in my passport. My current spouse is in India, and am looking to bring her to USA (on H4 visa) in a month or so. I have few queries,

1] Is this name change process possible without having to apply twice (one for deletion of spouse name and other for addition of new spouse name) ?

2] What will be the brief procedure to carry on this change in passport.

3] Do I need original divorce certificate/Re-marriage certificate or Notarised will be fine?

4] My H1 stamping will be in the old passport. Will I have to carry both passports whenever I travel or there are any other options?

Pls advise accordingly so that I can proceed with passport application process. 

Many Thanks,
Neo

I am in the same boat. I changed my name (legally to a new name) after my past. I deleted spouse name and applied for new name all in One passport application to BLS (who submits to the Indian embassy). I seriously suggest you to go there in person to get it done perfectly. BLS is not an easy office to deal with. They gave me a tough time But I applied everything in 1 single application.

It will be filed under RE-ISSUE of passport.

Now after that I need to update my H1B visa also with the New Name

Thanks so much for your reply jairichi and praneerich.

I have one more question regarding the DS forms, which we fill when we enter the USA. When I entered USA, I had mentioned my spouse name of my earlier wife (as her name was already on my passport, and I was not having enough time to wait in India to renew the passport). Now, when my current wife will be applying for her H4 visa, will it result into any complications as my earlier DS forms contained different information and her DS forms will have different details. Can someone help me understand, what should be my approach in this case. 

Many Thanks, Neo.

Thanks so much for your reply jairichi and praneerich.

I have one more question regarding the DS forms, which we fill when we enter the USA. When I entered USA, I had mentioned my spouse name of my earlier wife (as her name was already on my passport, and I was not having enough time to wait in India to renew the passport). Now, when my current wife will be applying for her H4 visa, will it result into any complications as my earlier DS forms contained different information and her DS forms will have different details. Can someone help me understand, what should be my approach in this case. 

Many Thanks, Neo.

As long as she carries marriage certificate and divorce certificate it is fine.

I am in the same boat. I changed my name (legally to a new name) after my past. I deleted spouse name and applied for new name all in One passport application to BLS (who submits to the Indian embassy). I seriously suggest you to go there in person to get it done perfectly. BLS is not an easy office to deal with. They gave me a tough time But I applied everything in 1 single application.

It will be filed under RE-ISSUE of passport.

Now after that I need to update my H1B visa also with the New Name

Thanks Praneerich. Could you please let me know the exact steps you followed, to have deletion and addition done in one single step. I could see on the BLS site, they have 2 separate tabs for "deletion of spouse name" and "addition of spouse name". It will help me a lot if you could describe in brief, how you did this process end to end.

Thanks again, and hoping a positive reply!

Neo

Hi Neon,

So here is how it goes. The passport office does not really care how many changes you are doing.

At the end of the day, they are going to give you a brand new passport.

Whatever information you want to printed in the passport, you need to enter the exact same information in their BLS Online application Form. The only thing you will need to do to make all those changes from your end is to provide backup/proofs for each of the information  you intend to enter in the new passport. That is why its only 1 Single application. As long as u backup all the info you want entered, they are fine. The fee for me was $91 including everything. The return envelop was $15 for shipping passport.

They have a checklist along with the online application form. Attach every single document proof that they ask for in that check list.

All you need to do is fill an Online Application Form for re-issue of passport. ENTER ALL THE  INFORMATION JUST THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO APPEAR IN YOUR NEW  PASSPORT.

Include a covering letter clearing BULLET POINTING out what all you are changing in the passport. 

ITS EASY. NO BIG DEAL

Thanks Praneerich. Could you please let me know the exact steps you followed, to have deletion and addition done in one single step. I could see on the BLS site, they have 2 separate tabs for "deletion of spouse name" and "addition of spouse name". It will help me a lot if you could describe in brief, how you did this process end to end.

Thanks again, and hoping a positive reply!

Neo

I WOULD SUGGEST STRONGLY- PLS GO TO THE OFFICE IN PERSON. I was thankful to do that because they fixed any mistakes and asked for documents that were not mentioned on the phone call with BLS. Make sure all your notary stamps are FROM THE UNITED STATES. Indian notary stamps will not be accepted by BLS. That was the mistake I made. I had documents that were notarized by court offices in INDIA and they WOULDNT ACCEPT!!! Its ridiculous. I came to know of it at the counter. So I went and got it notarized in the nearby banks around BLS office in Washington.

Archived