Passport for US minor child

naina85

Hello,

I am a student from India. I am on F-1 visa. My husband (also from India) is on H1-b visa. My kid is born in US. This is regarding the procedure to apply for US passport and obtain India visa for my child.

My husband left us a few months ago. Since then I do not know where he is. We are still legally married. His cell phone number is not working. I am trying to contact him via emails but he does not reply to my emails.
Now, I have to travel to India soon and in this regard, I have to apply for a US passport and India visa for my kid. We have never applied for a passport for our kid. In order to apply for a US passport for a minor, both parents have to appear in passport office. Moreover, to obtain a India visa, I will need my husband's passport details and visa details. I do not have any information about my husband's passport and visa.

In this situation, how do I obtain a passport for my child and India visiting visa or OCI card?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Applying for US passport should be simple - Google DS 5525. It's a straightforward form that one fills out. You are allowed to wrtie "I don't know" if you do not know the answer to any question. If you have finalized travel plans, you can apply for expedited passport processing.

I do not know enough about OCI to be able to comment. I hope other forum members will chime in.

Good luck.

Just to be clear it is their responsibility and mandate to help Indian Citizens in trouble. Contact your family and the Embassy. Jairichi, What sort of lawyer?

I agree Pontevecchio. Since not many are well versed with this situation my suggestion was to approach an attorney who will direct the client in an appropriate way.

Archived