H1b to CPT- process help

sunny_fr12

Hi,

I already have done my masters and used my OPT.

Then i got a job and H1b filed/approved as well. I have just used one year of my H1b term.

I plan to do MBA along with my work, I already have a admission letter from a university and they are ok with CPT as well.

So here is my concern, I want to change my status from H1b to CPT:

1. If i am not wrong I need to COS to F1, is that correct?
  2. I can work without any issues till F1 is approved, but once approved I cannot work, so how can I get CPT from day 1?

Note- My employer/university has no issues with this till the time I have valid status.

I know I can continue on H1b but I want to switch to CPT, anyways I can get back to H1 anytime.

Thanks for your help.

No real university will give out CPT to somebody just signing up.

What you are trying is abuse of CPT.

Such CPT abuse will end your career in the US forever!

CPT is NOT and has NEVER beem to work in some arbitrary job. It is only for work as integral part of a curriculum.

Abuse of CPT means you will never get an H1 again. Your future in the US would be over!

Can you explain how?

Have you not heard of TVU???

Abuse of CPT such as what you are planning means that you would be out of status. Any H1 afyer such CPT abuse would get denied.

Abuse of CPT kills the future career in the US. It is THAT simple.

I am not sure how is above true?

What wrong with it?

Do you know exactly what's the purpose of CPT?? First learn what's CPT is for and then take action.

What is the name of this university??

CPT is part of F1 program and its for practical knowledge, that means before you take CPT you need some course work before you start practicals. So how can you get CPT before taking classes?? Please do some research and know why students were arrested and deported for working in CPT.

Do you know exactly what's the purpose of CPT?? First learn what's CPT is for and then take action.

CPT is part of F1 program and its for practical knowledge, that means before you take CPT you need some course work before you start practicals. So how can you get CPT before taking classes?? Please do some research and know why students were arrested and deported for working in CPT.

Thanks but,

i came to this forum to learn/know about the process before i jump into a wrong decision and its too late. I have no intentions to go through the wrong ways. however coming to the point , not sure if this post is going to be approved of if you are the moderator here, but i guess you can be little bit more polite with your reply. Being humble will only take you long way.

Before you pounce on anyone thinking that everyone is trying to abuse CPT, there are people who are genuinely looking for guidance or want to check if their chosen path is correct. 

If everyone knew everything why would they come to internet/forums.

The bottom line is:

Avoid CPT, in particular these "from day one" stuff.

As I have said in this thread before, NO real university would offer that.

Legitimate CPT is very rare, and the university would handle that individually and never issue a blanket statement.

ALL these institutions who advertise CPT or say "it's ok" need to be avoided.

So, consider this a lesson learned, and stay away from that institution.

Thanks but,

i came to this forum to learn/know about the process before i jump into a wrong decision and its too late. I have no intentions to go through the wrong ways. however coming to the point , not sure if this post is going to be approved of if you are the moderator here, but i guess you can be little bit more polite with your reply. Being humble will only take you long way.

Before you pounce on anyone thinking that everyone is trying to abuse CPT, there are people who are genuinely looking for guidance or want to check if their chosen path is correct. 

If you paid for an answer, you may request to not get a rude answer.

But for a free answer, you get whatever the person answering feels is appropriate.

Deal with it. If you don't like it, you are free to a paid consultation with a lawyer/

On the free Internet, you have no rights to demand sugar coating.

Think of is analogous to what Linus Torvalds (the creator of Linux) dishes out. We are harmless to what he posts on the kernel mailing list. And yet, Linux is the biggest Operating System on the planet, with over a billion smartphones powered by it.

OP, before taking a decision, do some research please. "Not knowing the rules " can lead to dangerous situations .

1) As Rahul said, F1 is for studying and CPT is a part of curriculum which is done to get your degree. 

2) Is the university accredited and non profit?

This issue has been pounded many many many times in this forum and the answer is mostly no. Do not attempt CPT from day 1. Period. 

P.S :- I became familiar with all the rules last year when my H1 did not get selected in the lottery. I talked to many universities ( accredited, non profit and ones which are on the map, like ASU, Univ of Wisc Madison etc..) and ICE personal. One of the international student advisor got angry for asking this question. 

People kept abusing H1-B and now there is a lottery for H1B . Please do not abuse F-1 rules and do not force USCIS and ICE to conduct lottery for F-1 as well. 

Thanks but,

Sorry if I am harsh. I didn't want another F1 student to get handcuffed, its just out of frustration.

So what have you decided?? You still didn't told us the name of that university.

Sorry if I am harsh. I didn't want another F1 student to get handcuffed, its just out of frustration.

So what have you decided?? You still didn't told us the name of that university.

I will stick with my H1b, I have 5 more years, i need not worry.

I need to study, i can do that on H1b as well :)

OP, before taking a decision, do some research please. "Not knowing the rules " can lead to dangerous situations .

1) As Rahul said, F1 is for studying and CPT is a part of curriculum which is done to get your degree. 

2) Is the university accredited and non profit?

This issue has been pounded many many many times in this forum and the answer is mostly no. Do not attempt CPT from day 1. Period. 

P.S :- I became familiar with all the rules last year when my H1 did not get selected in the lottery. I talked to many universities ( accredited, non profit and ones which are on the map, like ASU, Univ of Wisc Madison etc..) and ICE personal. One of the international student advisor got angry for asking this question. 

People kept abusing H1-B and now there is a lottery for H1B . Please do not abuse F-1 rules and do not force USCIS and ICE to conduct lottery for F-1 as well. 

Thanks for the info :)

If you paid for an answer, you may request to not get a rude answer.

But for a free answer, you get whatever the person answering feels is appropriate.

Deal with it. If you don't like it, you are free to a paid consultation with a lawyer/

On the free Internet, you have no rights to demand sugar coating.

Think of is analogous to what Linus Torvalds (the creator of Linux) dishes out. We are harmless to what he posts on the kernel mailing list. And yet, Linux is the biggest Operating System on the planet, with over a billion smartphones powered by it.

Agreed, evrybody has freedom of speech.

I am not telling anyone to sugar coat, and no offense but I know my rights very well.

I felt the repsonse was rude i replied saying it was rude, as simple as that.

peace out!

• 8 months later...

Have you not heard of TVU???

Abuse of CPT such as what you are planning means that you would be out of status. Any H1 afyer such CPT abuse would get denied.

Abuse of CPT kills the future career in the US. It is THAT simple.

Hi JoeF,

Big problem for me, enrolled CPT to work, and H1B stamp was rejected, case sent back to USCIS, I guess investigation made to the school. My question is, i know my career is over, but my husband is in US, can I go to stamp H4? Do I need to quit the job and withdrawn the H1 first?

Your advice will be so much appreciated.

Archived