L1-B to H1-B transfer

hibtibs

I am currently in US since June 2007 on L1-B Blanket visa from Company A with visa valid till Jun, 2012. I am applying for H1-B visa with Company B. Please let me know how long can I work once my H1-B is approved? Will I get another 6 yrs on H1-B or only time remaining time period to complete 6 yrs (till May 2013) including time spent on L1-B?

I want to continue with current employer beyond 01-Oct-2011, till I get a good opportunity on H1-B visa. Will my H1-B petition be filed with Change of Status or can it be applied without change of status and Change of Status filed once I get a good opportunity?

My current employer, with whom I am on L1-B, has 2 months notice period. I am planning to give 1 month notice period around 01-Sep-2011, assuming H1-B is effective 01-Oct-2011. Could my employer cancel my L1-B visa status in between 01-Sep-2011 to 01-Oct-2011? Or is it better to resign on 30-Sep-2011 with H1-B effective 01-Oct-2011?

• 1 month later...

Generally, any time spent in the U.S. in L-1B status will be counted towards the total time available in H-1B status (if you have not been outside the U.S. for over one year since obtaining your L-1B status). If you are applying from within the U.S. for H-1B employment while in L-1B status, the petition filed on your behalf will be a change of status petition subject to the H-1B Cap (if you have not previously held H-1B status). For advice aimed at reaching your desired result related to your specific circumstance you should contact a qualified U.S. immigration attorney directly. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Archived