Un-claimed H1B period and expired Visa

apk123

Hello Experts,

Here is my situation:

I have worked in US for 4 years and my visa expired in Sep-2013. My H1 was not revoked.

Now, I would like explore opportunities in US and looking at options to come back to US.

Based on my understanding so far, this is what I learned:

Option1: Quota-exempt : I can claim reminder of 2 year term. But, I want to work in US beyond 2 years.

Option 2: Fresh H1B (since, I stayed out of US for more than 1 year). But, challenge here is that I will be subject to the lottery (also, it is too late now for this option).

With Option 1, I understand that initiating GC and clearing the first hurdle within 2 years, should help you extend  visa by a 1 year.

What are your suggestions/recommendations, given my situation.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards,

Deepu

"With Option 1, I understand that initiating GC and clearing the first hurdle within 2 years, should help you extend  visa by a 1 year." - This is the option I will go with. Enter in USA with cap exempted H1b, and get your GC started. 

It all comes down to your lawyers and how they present your case to recapture those 2 years. I recently got my visa transfered to new employer (3rd employer), and we tried to recapture the time I had not used on my 1st H1B. I had 19 months left on 1st H1B and another 12 months left on my 2nd H1B. I had gone back to India for couple of years after my 1st H1B, My visa transfer was approved, and the visa was extended for another 3 years, few months more than what we expected. 

Go for option 1 with some good immigration attorney. The time you have spend in India will help you. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, 

Here is my situation. Thanks a lot for your response in advance.  

H1B - Oct 1, 2006 to Sept 0, 2012 - 6 yrs

Currently outside US since 2012, September

Recapture Days during 6 yr H1B - 68days

1. Can H1B applied under cap exemption avoiding lottery?

2. If yes, can extension be filed once in US before within the 68 day period for 3 years (because I am outside the country since 2012)

Thank you

JK

Archived