h1 layoff

rajkumar.t08

@jairichi is that to be applied through an employer or by me.

An H1 transfer would have to be applied by a new employer.

If you don't have a new employer yet at the time of layoff, file a COS yourself to some other status, e.g., B2 (or H4 if you are married and your spouse is in H1 status.)

@joef @wiweq thanks for your reply if the previous employers dont report to uscis will i be on safer side

That is completely irrelevant! You need to ignore these rumors! They are NOT true!

You are out of status from the day of layoff. No but or if.

You are NOT on the safe side if you don't file a COS to some other status, or have a new employer who has filed an H1.

@joef @wiweq thanks for your reply if the previous employers dont report to uscis will i be on safer side

Your out of status days starts from the date or termination i.e. when the employee-employer relationship breaks. Its up to your employer if they revoke your H1b or not. It doesn't affect your out of status days. 

@rahul412 @wiweq thanks for your reply...guys with my employer A current job got over on feb 28th and new employer B filed my LCA on March 2nd so still I get my H1 transfer receipt will I be out of status....will I be able to get receipt or I will be in trouble....please help me out

I think you are safe.

@wiweq is there anyway to save myself from the current situation.

As others said, a couple of days shouldn't matter, specially when those are weekend days. You laid off on Friday, and new company filed H1b on Monday. USCIS shouldn't have problem with this. 

@jairichi @rahul412 @wiweqthanks for your reply...lay of was on feb 28th and new employer did lca file on 3rd march...still waiting for lca approve after that only they will file h1 transfer :( ....will i be still on safer side...

You are out of status from 1st March till a receipt notice for H1B petition was generated by USCIS. LCA filing date does not matter here. You might get a H1B petition approved without I94.

Archived