New born baby citizenship and wife's delivery on H4 visa.

mansha117

Hi,

Need inputs. I am on H1B visa staying with my wife and daughter on H4 since 1 year. My wife conceived this month and unfortunAtely or this year I took medical plan BCBS for us which has yearly family deductible 0f $5500 to start my insurance plan actually paying 80:20 ratio. I heard delivering a baby here in USA is very very costly.Do I have a option to opt for any other insurance plan. I checked with my employer insurance and they said it can't be updated changed next year.

I am thinking of sending her to India after 6 months of pregnancy when my daughters vacation start in june. this will help her proper care and I can save cost of delivery.

Also, If my wife remains in US for 6 months but deliver a baby in india in October will the new born baby a citizen of USA? While returning back to USA with her new born baby do we need to apply for a visa for new born baby . What's is the actual procedure?

Appreciate your inputs.

A child born in the US is a US citizen. A child born abroad to non-US citizens is NOT a US citizen, and would need an appropriate visa to be admitted to the US.

Open enrollment for insurance plans are usually every couple of months for a short period. Check with the insurance, you should have gotten the paperwork from the insurance company. Your company's HR should also know, but the insurance guys know best.

If your child is born outside of US, he/she won't be a US citizen, unless one of the parent is a US citizen. And about, having the baby delievered here in the US. Yes its a costly affair. It may cost anything from 25k - 50k, depending on the complexity of delivery. Even with medical insurance, I have heard people paying anywhere from $50 to $6000 (deductibles/co-insurance and other good stuff).

Did you try healthcare dot gov? I don't know of the dates, but if the dates are open for this year, you should be able to get the medical insurance there.

Citizenship issues apart, I would recommend having a child in the US if you can financially afford it. The whole process is a lot more simpler and family friendly when compared to India. Most Indian hospitals still do not allow the father to be present during childbirth. (Metros might be an exception).

Archived