Changing from Eb-3 to EB-2 with new employer

libranswapy

Hi All,

I am currently working with company XXX which is a good US based company. Next month in Jan 2015 they will start my green card application in EB-3 category even though i have a MS degree in CSE as for my software engineer position they only file in EB-3. They said they can file a new petition for EB-2 once i promote to Senior Engineer position. 

I wanted to know if is it possible to get the GC filed in EB-3 with this company and then if things change have green card filed with another company in EB-2 with same priority date which i would get from this company?

Does priority date remains the same even though another company files my GC in EB-2 when i was previously filed in EB-3. Any suggestions or steps for planning would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi Pontevecchio and Rahul,

Thanks for replying. Sorry i did not clearly understand what you meant. Can you please elaborate and explain?

If i currently file my visa through employer in EB-3 since they dont file in EB-2 and later after i get my I-140 transfer company and then another employer files in EB-2 i can port over the priority date which i got initially when it was filed in EB-3 category to this new category?

It really hurts when i have Masters degree with 4.5 years US experience and a fortune 500 company doesnt file in EB-2 category or have weird policies. So i want to be proactive for future if i should get filed from this company or switch employer.

Thanks Rahul and pontevecchio.

Just to reiterate and confirm. If my current company files in EB-3 category and then after i get I-140 approved i switch company which later files in EB-2 category my original priority date will be ported/carried forward and i will not have to restart the priority date process again correct?

This really helps a lot. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks Rahul and pontevecchio.

Just to reiterate and confirm. If my current company files in EB-3 category and then after i get I-140 approved i switch company which later files in EB-2 category my original priority date will be ported/carried forward and i will not have to restart the priority date process again correct?

This really helps a lot. Thanks for your replies.

GC process has to be started from scratch,but your PD will be the same.

Please google for more info.

Archived