F1- H1 Visa Successful - Vancouver Dec 23rd

Sairaj599

First of all I would like to thank all the people who have shared/sharing their experiences in this forum. It helped me a lot.

Now, it’s my turn to share my visa interview experience. I believe it will be useful to someone over there. I will try  to explain things in detail.

Case: F1 to H1, EVC model, no 221g during F1, major computer science.

Appointment time: 7:00 AM, 23rd Dec. I went to consulate by 6:20 AM. . Since I reached the consulate early I stood very first in the line :P

Initial Security check started at 6:50 at the entrance of the building then security screening in the first floor ( Here, it would be easy if you read the instructions pasted here and there otherwise u will be in state of confusion as where to go.) and then Passport, photos, DS160 check and then Finger prints.

They give you a token number and u will be redirected to 20th floor for interview.  There are four counters at 20th floor namely 2,3,4,5.

My token number displayed on the screen then I went to the respective counter. Here goes my conversation with VO.

Me: Good morning sir, How are doing today? ( gave my passport )

VO: I am going good. How about you?

Me: Thanks. I am good.

VO: So you are here for your H1B visa right?

Me: yes sir.

VO: In order to give you H1 visa, I need to cancel your existing F1 visa on your passport. Is it ok with you?

Me: Ya, that’s fine.

VO: So, When did you graduate?

Me: told

VO: Which University?

Me: told (he compared my answer with the name on my F1 visa in passport. I guess he was trying to check for any university transfers!!)

VO: Which degree & major?

Me: MS in Computer science

VO: how along are you with your current employer?

Me: told

VO: I think you must be having an end client

Me: yes, sir. XXXX it is

VO: where is it located?

Me: Told

VO: What is your role over there?

Me: Told

VO: can you explain what kind of software(s) you are using in your work and a brief description

Me: answered with utmost confidence (After all that is what I do daily :P)

VO: Can I see your LCA?

Me: Sure and I gave him the same. Then he kept my passport a side ( At this point I am relaxed completely)

VO: can I see your W2 and last year pay stub

Me: I gave the complete set which has all my W2’s and Paystubs bundled together and told him the same.

VO: He went through all W2’s and couple of paystubs and said the pleasant words “Your visa is approved”

Me: Thank you so much. Said Merry Christmas and left the place.

J J J

Accommodation: I took a room in Days Inn motel in downtown Vancouver which is one block away from the consulate i.e., 3 minute walk.

Food options: Near to this motel there are variety of options for food( bit expensive though :P) and you don’t have to have a car as everything is in walkable distance.

After the interview: Since it takes time to get your passport, in the mean while you can visit the beautiful places in and around Vancouver downtown. Some of them like Canada place, Stanley part, Capilano suspension bridge, Vancouver art museum, grouse mountain etc.

That’s all folks, and thanks to each and every one who have shared their experiences all these days. It means a lot me.

Suggestion: Many of my frnds or people in this forum mentioned that it is easy to get visa in Vancouver. After going through the interview phase what I personally feel is that it is not at all a cake walk here. I am saying this because I saw/met couple of guys who received 221g here who had interview on the same day of mine.

I do not have/suggest a solid answer as where to go and where not to go but wherever you go for interview, let it be Canada/Home country, just be confident and be honest when answering to the VO questions is what I would say.

Thank you

Archived