Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Please Help! Need help with TN visa for Canadian citizens

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 


I desperately need help with my visa situation. I am a Canadian citizen residing in the US. I am currently on a G2 visa provided by the UN where I intern. 


I finally got a job offer (after a long exhausting search) from a non profit organization. They have stated that they are not in the position they once were to provide me with a visa due to lack of funding and time. They are trying to get the position filled asap, which is why they cannot keep it open for me much longer even though they have expressed that they want me on board and are doing what they can. I believe the H1b is out of the question because the deadline for that visa is over for the year, and it costs a lot more for an organization to take on. 


This leaves me with the TN visa option. After doing my own research on the TN visa, I have realized that it is no easy process. This visa category is catered to very specific employment categories and requires that ones area of study matches the category itself. I have an undergraduate degree in Political Science/Legal Studies and my prospective job title is "Alumni Coordinator". Just to help with as much information for the TN as possible, some of the basic duties of this job are as follows


The purpose of this position is to facilitate a robust support program for Technology Service Corps (TSC) alumni, with the goal of ensuring that all obtain 
and retain employment, sustain independence and advance their careers through continued education or training. The 
Alumni Coordinator provides one-to-one counseling to alumni, coordinates events focused on the professional development 
of alumni, supports and coordinates the TSC alumni council and implements TCS’s in-house mentoring and continuing 
education program (described in greater detail below), among other varied responsibilities. The Alumni Coordinator is 
further responsible for capturing all relevant data on alumni employment and education activity. 
If there is any way my situation can be catered to the TN visa category please please let me know. I understand if I live in the US already, I can apply to get my TN from the States except it is a longer process. Since the organization is pressed for time to quickly get the position filled, I may have to go to the border directly to get my TN. This however is a strict process and I have heard many situations where one gets denied. Please shed some light on the matter to what would be the best and most practical way of doing this.
Lastly, I am awaiting my Social Security Number that I am able to obtain through my G2 visa. Is it possible that I work for another organization other than the UN on that Social Security? This would be helpful in buying me time till the TN gets sorted out if possible. 
Any help, advice and/or feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this