Travel via Frankfurt with H1B expired

dhamotharranvs

I am indian citizen and have planned to travel india in Jan 2015. The H1B visa stamped in my passport is expired in Sep 2014 but I have valid I-797.

My travel is from Dallas to Chennai via Frankfurt with the transit time of 1 Hr. As I'm going to travel with expired US visa, do I require transit visa to travel via Frankfurt?

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Traveling to Chennai through Frankfurt on end of this month with expired H1B and have  H1 Extension  approved 1797 as well as new I94 valid till Mar 2016 June.Do I need transit visa?  I am going to India for visa stamping. 

Any help on this is highly appreciated

You need a valid H1B visa to transit through Germany without the need for a transit visa. Since you do not have that either you need to apply for a transit visa or make alternative arrangements.

http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/london/en/07/03__Visa/014__Airport__transit.html

hey....so here is My case  .this is my travel details on 30th jan SFO to Frankfurt, Germany  2 hrs wait time in FRA then connecting flight

Frankfurt, Germany  to  Mumbai , My US H1B visa expired on may 2014, i have valid i-797...My h1b visa was issued in India,

I called San Francisco's German consulate (415-775-1061) VISA dept, that lady told me that if your h1b VISA is issued in india (home country)  even though its expired you can still go back to your home country  however while coming back to USA make sure you have valida US visa stamp, .......i am just trying to help you guys, so would recommend to conatct that country's consulate by phone in case of question, and dont believe on roumers

Cheers!!

hey....so here is My case  .this is my travel details on 30th jan SFO to Frankfurt, Germany  2 hrs wait time in FRA then connecting flight

Frankfurt, Germany  to  Mumbai , My US H1B visa expired on may 2014, i have valid i-797...My h1b visa was issued in India,

I called San Francisco's German consulate (415-775-1061) VISA dept, that lady told me that if your h1b VISA is issued in india (home country)  even though its expired you can still go back to your home country  however while coming back to USA make sure you have valida US visa stamp, .......i am just trying to help you guys, so would recommend to conatct that country's consulate by phone in case of question, and dont believe on roumers

Cheers!!

Well, good luck.

First the airline itself might not issue a boarding pass if they find that about the situation. Since you have nothing in writing and German consulate website (posted in a response above) says without a valid US visa a transit visa is required to fly via Frankfurt they will trust a website rather than your words. And, it is not a rumor it is what is mentioned in their official website.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers!!

hey.. did you travel to india? Did you fave any problems or situations where you have explain about your visa(or anything) to anybody? Can you please share your experience.

I have travel plans to bangalore via frankfurt.

Thank you!!

Here is my update....

Summary: No need of transit visa... My family travelled to india without any issues

I have called and emailed to SFO german embassy explaing my situation, they said no transit visa is required.

they replyed to my email also ..... here is their reply...

Dear ------,

if your expired US visa sticker in your current valid Indian passport was issued in
India by an US mission, and you are returning to India your home country, and you
just have one stop in the Schengen countries, Frankfurt only, you do not need an airport transit visa.

Sincerely,
visa&passport section
Bettina Cole

German Consulate General
1960 Jackson St
San Francisco, CA 94109
e.mail: 
info@san-francisco.diplo.de
Fax: 415-353-0340
Tele: 415-775-1061

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am returning to India next week. My H1B is expired 3 months back and extension is filed and it is not yet approved.

I have to travel back to India for personal work. Any body travelled via Frankfurt with expired Visa recently.

Do I need to get transit Visa. I could not get any confirmation from Airlines and Consulate also.

Anyone please reply.

• 2 months later...

You are allowed to travel from US to India with an expired US H1 Visa if you are an Indian Passport holder returning to India. For going back to the US from India, you need to have a valid US visa stamped on your passport. See this link: http://www.germany-visa.org/airport-transit-visa/

We are covered under the below rule:

<

Nationals of the above mentioned countries Do NOT require an airport transit visa if:

• have a valid visa for a Member State of the EU, Canada, Japan or the United States of America, or when they return from these countries after having used the visa

>

I will be travelling via Frankfurt 1st week of April. 2017. Will let you all know if I encounter any issues!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...