When can I start working for my new company

abhishes

I am in the process of getting my H1B visa transferred. My visa consultant has told me that 

"Please note, in accordance with U.S. CIS regulations and as per Company policy you can begin working on proof US CIS has received your H-1B petition.  We will notify you via email when we receive this notice and provide the FedEx confirmation of delivery receipt as an attachment. You will need to print this receipt for new hire orientation and bring the other documents necessary for the I-9 verification process."

I just wanted to check if its OK for me to join just when the application was submitted? or should I wait for the whole process to complete and the approval to come from USCIS?

What is the risk in starting to work when the application has been submitted but the process is not complete?

While it is possible to start working for the new employer just with the receipt notice, it is not a good idea, since you would have lots of problems if the H1 would get denied.

Better wait for the approval. If the employer wants you quickly, they can file (and pay for) premium processing.

If the new employment is fulltime you can start working with receipt .

Fulltime or consultancy doesn't matter for that.

It is still a bad idea to start working with just the receipt notice. Even in a fulltime employment case, there could be complications.

It is always best to start working for the employer after the approval.

Archived