Self Employed on EAD while keep the current job

mk9

The EAD allows for unrestricted employment authorization. So, a person could have a job on the side etc. It is important for the GC primary in an employment based case to be mindful of the need to have a proper job offer underlying their GC case. But, as long as that is in place, they can have side jobs/businesses on the EAD.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to be clear,,,this is true only if you have EAD.

Can someone be a driver for lyft or uber while on H1B?

What could be the issues if somebody did that already and what corrective steps can be taken.

Thanks,

Raj

On H1, you can ONLY work for the employer that filed the H1 petition.

If a person worked somewhere else (or was self-employed), the first thing is to stop that side-work immediately. Then such person should see a good immigration lawyer to minimize the impact.

I have a similar question. My current employer is sponsoring for my H1B and GC. I just got my EAD.

so can I work 40hrs/week for my current employer under H1B and work 15hours as consultant for a different company on EAD? Is this allowed and legal?

You are either working on H1 or on the EAD. There is no split (H1 here, EAD there.)

If you do a side-job on EAD, that would violate the rules of the H1, so the H1 would be invalid. So, you would have to use the EAD for working for your main employer as well.

Also, if you have dependents on H4, if they haven't filed an I-485 yet, their H4 would become invalid and they would be out of status as soon as you use your EAD.

• 1 month later...

I am on OPT. Currently working as a consultant. I wish to work as a uber driver in the weekends.

My employer applied for h1b this year.

The validation for my h1b starts in october if it is picked in lottery, can I work as uber driver in the meanwhile till october. 

When we were talking about EADs in this thread, it means unrestricted EADs, like the one people can get whan an I-485 is filed.

The EAD you get for OPT is restricted, and ONLY allows you to work in your field of study.

It does NOT allow you to work for Uber.

Archived