I-94 Validity and legal stay query after getting H1B Approval from new employer

bluebeamer999

Hi Gurus,
I have changed my employer(Y) last year 4-November-13 and got H1B approval recently i.e 5-August-14, in between I traveled couple of times outside US. My last return date to US is 10-June-14 where I had to show my previous employer's(X) visa and i797 at port of entry as I did not have latest i797 approved at that point of time.
Obviously the online i94 tracking system got update with my previous employers visa validity which is up till (11-November-2014). 
So now my question is that can me and my wife stay in USA after 11-November-2014 as we have an approved i797 from my current employer(Y).
Also I tried getting online i94 corrected by going to both info pass office and UCICS CBP office located in san francisco to get the i94 number corrected in the system but they refused saying that it was not a mistake from their end they would not correct it.
Some of them say I either have to cross the border and come back before my visa validity in the passport as I my current i94 as per the system shows validity till 11-nov-2014
So based on the above comments can anyone please suggest or advice what action needs to taken from my side or is it okay to stay in US beyond 11-November-2014.

Please give your valuable suggestion as I'm running out of time and have to make plans accordingly if I have to cross the border and come back.

Thanks,

Hi Jairichi,

Thanks for the response. So as of now I have valid i797 which is valid till 15-May-2014 but H1B Visa is expiring this 1-November-2014. So is it okay if I just go cross mexican border (Tijuana) and came back before 1-november-14 so I need not worry about H1B stamping again?

Need your suggestion on the same.

Thanks,

Hi Jairichi,

Thanks for the response. So as of now I have valid i797 which is valid till 15-May-2014 but H1B Visa is expiring this 1-November-2014. So is it okay if I just go cross mexican border (Tijuana) and came back before 1-november-14 so I need not worry about H1B stamping again?

Need your suggestion on the same.

Thanks,

Yes, it will be better to cross the border before your H1B visa expiry and return to US with a valid I797 to get extended I94.

Hi Rohitkp,

Why is it so?.I have gone to CBP Office for this correction and they said the same, cross the border either by walking in or fly and come back to US to get new i94 with extended date.

Any specific reason you saying that I should get stamped?

Please share your views ASAP as I'm travelling tomorrow to get this done over this weekend.

Thanks and Appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived