CPT paystub impact on H1B

nexus1

Hi,

I'm currently on CPT (Fall Semester) that  I am continuing from Summer session with the same employer. But in Fall for my CPT, i'm only working for 3 days instead of 5 as I used to, but my employer is still paying me for all the 5 days. 

Will this hamper my ability to get OPT/H1B in future ? If so, what should I do and whom shall I inform.

Thanks !

CPT is related to your curriculum, you paid less, you paid noting does not matter with you H1b filing. 

In most universities, if you take full-time CPT of one full year, your OPT will be voided. Make sure to plan accordingly. Make sure to have part-time hrs on I20, and work accordingly.

Hi,

I'm currently on CPT (Fall Semester) that  I am continuing from Summer session with the same employer. But in Fall for my CPT, i'm only working for 3 days instead of 5 as I used to, but my employer is still paying me for all the 5 days. 

Will this hamper my ability to get OPT/H1B in future ? If so, what should I do and whom shall I inform.

Thanks !

Pay doesn't matter, all it matters is whether your CPT is part of your F1 or not.

CPT is related to your curriculum, you paid less, you paid noting does not matter with you H1b filing. 

In most universities, if you take full-time CPT of one full year, your OPT will be voided. Make sure to plan accordingly. Make sure to have part-time hrs on I20, and work accordingly.

Not just in "most universities." The law says that if a person has taken one year of CPT, the person can not get OPT.

Oh, and there is nothing to "plan accordingly."

CPT is for work as integral part of the curriculum, so there is no option to use or not use CPT. If the curriculum requires a year of CPT, then the person has to do a year of CPT.

If the curriculum doesn't require CPT, then the person can NOT get CPT.

In other words, CPT is not an optional thing. OPT is optional. That's what the O in OPT stands for.

And to make it really clear: CPT is only allowed when it is an integral part of the curriculum.

It is not just "related" to the curriculum, it has to be an integral part. All students in the degree program would have to be required to take it.

Anything else is abuse of CPT. And abuse of CPT will come back to bite.

The bottom line: Do NOT abuse CPT!

Stay away from institutions that advertise CPT, stay away from institutions that say you can (but don't have to) take CPT. These are all frauds.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help. Let me clarify more about the situation ( even though you guys have been awesome and already answered my original query).

My plan is to take CPT for less than a year ( should turn out to be 345 days, as per my plan) and then join a full-time job. As far as CPT is concerned, my university doesn't allow any international student to get CPT before they complete 2 long-semesters. Also, they don't issue CPT if they think that you can't manage your credits or if the CPT is not relevant to the field of study.

Regards,

nexus1

Also, they don't issue CPT if they think that you can't manage your credits or if the CPT is not relevant to the field of study.

=> That's the way most state universities go. They have option of "Independent Research (IR)"  for CPT. Students have the option to go with IR instead of CPT.  Before starting CPT, student presents a write-up about what he is going to learn from CPT how it will relate to study and get it approved from chair or department, and international office. Once all approved, s/he get I-20 with appropriate hrs. 

As far as CPT is concerned, my university doesn't allow any international student to get CPT before they complete 2 long-semesters. Also, they don't issue CPT if they think that you can't manage your credits or if the CPT is not relevant to the field of study.

Well, that's not good enough for CPT.

CPT has to be an integral part of the curriculum. Everybody taking the courses would have to work with CPT. Their procedures show that CPT is not mandatory, i.e., it is not an integral part of the curriculum.

That means that what you are doing is abuse of CPT.

That will come back to bite you. You will get into lots of trouble getting an H1.

I strongly suggest you stop using CPT, and find a REAL university. The one you are enrolled in is a fraud institution.

Well, that's not good enough for CPT.

CPT has to be an integral part of the curriculum. Everybody taking the courses would have to work with CPT. Their procedures show that CPT is not mandatory, i.e., it is not an integral part of the curriculum.

That means that what you are doing is abuse of CPT.

That will come back to bite you. You will get into lots of trouble getting an H1.

I strongly suggest you stop using CPT, and find a REAL university. The one you are enrolled in is a fraud institution.

OP is 'planning' to work for '345' days on CPT, not sure what course allows that many days of CPT.

Guys, before jumping the gun at least think about it.

Cpt is a requirement and part of the course curriculum. When I said that they don't allow international students to start before 2 long-semesters that  was the exact reason to prevent CPT abuse.

Now, why 345 days of CPT ? I am doing dual masters in the area of quantitative sciences and part of the program is to understand how to apply the concepts in real world business cases.

No, I will not be working full-time on CPT . I have 4 courses and 16-20 hours of work.

Again, I am thankful for all your help and please be patient when it comes to judging others.

Regards,

nexus

Cpt is a requirement and part of the course curriculum. When I said that they don't allow international students to start before 2 long-semesters that  was the exact reason to prevent CPT abuse.

Now, why 345 days of CPT ? I am doing dual masters in the area of quantitative sciences and part of the program is to understand how to apply the concepts in real world business cases.

That's fine, so everyone of that class is planning to work 345 days??

It doesn't matter whether its first or second semester, all matters is whether its part of your F1 or not.

Guys, before jumping the gun at least think about it.

No, I will not be working full-time on CPT . I have 4 courses and 16-20 hours of work.

Again, I am thankful for all your help and please be patient when it comes to judging others.

Regards,

nexus

Hmm, earlier you said:

"Also, they don't issue CPT if they think that you can't manage your credits or if the CPT is not relevant to the field of study."

That shows that CPT is not a requirement.

You obviously are now trying to backpedal, after we have told you the rules for CPT. But you still don't get it, with the 345 days stuff. You don't have a say in it. The curriculum would determine how long CPT is.

So, you still show that it is abuse of CPT.

"Also, they don't issue CPT if they think that you can't manage your credits or if the CPT is not relevant to the field of study."

This statement is still valid and CPT is required. What the above statement means is that if you come to them with a CPT offer that pays you $20 and is not related to your field then they would not accept the CPT because of lower wages and unrelated field of study. They will ask you to find another opportunity.

But if you want to continue, please go ahead. Thanks for clarifying the earlier issue though and I appreciate your help.

This statement is still valid and CPT is required. What the above statement means is that if you come to them with a CPT offer that pays you $20 and is not related to your field then they would not accept the CPT because of lower wages and unrelated field of study. They will ask you to find another opportunity.

As I said, you are trying to backpedal.

For legitimate CPT, the university would actually handle the job offer, because the university would work with appropriate employers.

So, all your posts continue to show that this is abuse of CPT.

Archived