H4 based Work Permit

dragontale

Dear All,

I would like to know about H4 based work permit.  My husband has a H1b and I am holding a H4 based on that.  I am reading that there is a new rule where the H4 holders can apply for work permit.  I would like to know more about this.

Please help!

Nothing new. Do not count your chickens before it hatches.

Dear All,

I would like to know about H4 based work permit.  My husband has a H1b and I am holding a H4 based on that.  I am reading that there is a new rule where the H4 holders can apply for work permit.  I would like to know more about this.

Please help!

That was just a proposal. Go for H1, this might take more time.

This is a proposal that has not been enacted. Do you realize that you will be competing with an estimated 100,000 people for a job if this goes through as proposed. If you has the skills most likely to be hired, you would have an H1B already.

This is a proposal that has not been enacted. Do you realize that you will be competing with an estimated 100,000 people for a job if this goes through as proposed. If you has the skills most likely to be hired, you would have an H1B already.

Not necessarily. If you have fashion stylist, culinary or any artisitic skills, without a degree, you won't qualify for H1. However, will easily get a job on EAD.

I am sure this will create lot of competition.

Yes, if they are eligible for job then they should be working on some work visa by now.

This is a disastrous proposal. This would mean an H4 dependent will have more privileges than someone on H1 who worked hard to get a job, completed the required education, and has been waiting in line for 6 years !!!!

It doesn't make sense, its same as giving the spouse a green card as soon as they land in US irrespective of what their skill, education or experience is. Then what's the point of so many visa categories if someone with lesser skills and experience can get GC just like that.

They throw the book at H1Bs and complain they are taking American jobs, so why are they allowing H4s to 'take' American jobs?

H4s should get their own H1Bs or F1s. The H4 spouses made a conscious decision to come to America knowing that they won't be able to work so they shouldn't be complaining now. They still get to 'cut' the line because of their spouses.

This is a disastrous proposal. This would mean an H4 dependent will have more privileges than someone on H1 who worked hard to get a job, completed the required education, and has been waiting in line for 6 years !!!!

It doesn't make sense, its same as giving the spouse a green card as soon as they land in US irrespective of what their skill, education or experience is. Then what's the point of so many visa categories if someone with lesser skills and experience can get GC just like that.

They throw the book at H1Bs and complain they are taking American jobs, so why are they allowing H4s to 'take' American jobs?

H4s should get their own H1Bs or F1s. The H4 spouses made a conscious decision to come to America knowing that they won't be able to work so they shouldn't be complaining now. They still get to 'cut' the line because of their spouses.

Wow..very good point and I agree to it too.

That's the reason why this will not get passed.

If you think that you are eligible for job then go get your work visa.

Its surprising that the current Government wants to pass all these new 'laws' but they don't want to apply the laws that are already there.

And even if they want to 'help' they should follow the law and not create new ones, they should 'help' people who have been patiently waiting in line for more than 10 years !!!! That 'help' should come before any other action on immigration including refugees, asylum, diversity lottery, EB1, DACA or any other shortcuts.

It seems the current Government is bent on 'helping' everyone who took shortcuts and didn't follow the procedure. It's sad.

Its surprising that the current Government wants to pass all these new 'laws' but they don't want to apply the laws that are already there.

And even if they want to 'help' they should follow the law and not create new ones, they should 'help' people who have been patiently waiting in line for more than 10 years !!!! That 'help' should come before any other action on immigration including refugees, asylum, diversity lottery, EB1, DACA or any other shortcuts.

It seems the current Government is bent on 'helping' everyone who took shortcuts and didn't follow the procedure. It's sad.

The government is after votes and nothing else.

You do realize that giving work authorization to H4 is not impacting anybody on H1 anyways. I think its a benefit to the immigration community, as a whole. Its time, we stop fighting against each other. Just because someone else got it easier than you, doesn't mean its unfair, unless it affects your chances even more now.

That help won't come because of the exact mindset you demonstrate, the "we (whoever that is) are better than them."

Nobody likes people who think they are entitled to something, and they should be "first."

And if you think refuge or asylum are shortcuts, then you really have no clue. Maybe you should spend some time in war zones and refugee camps...

You do realize that giving work authorization to H4 is not impacting anybody on H1 anyways. I think its a benefit to the immigration community, as a whole. Its time, we stop fighting against each other. Just because someone else got it easier than you, doesn't mean its unfair, unless it affects your chances even more now.

It seems you have no idea how things will play out. Imagine if all the spouses are given GC, the first thing that will be impacted is H1 jobs. Why will any company go through the rigorous H1 process when they have readily available GC holders. Someone with a 3 month NIIT computer course diploma will compete with someone with Bachelors and Masters degree and 12yrs of experience who has been waiting in line for 10yrs !!

Secondly, it will impact current GC holders, for the same reasons.

It seems you have no idea how things will play out. Imagine if all the spouses are given GC, the first thing that will be impacted is H1 jobs. Why will any company go through the rigorous H1 process when they have readily available GC holders. Someone with a 3 month NIIT computer course diploma will compete with someone with Bachelors and Masters degree and 12yrs of experience who has been waiting in line for 10yrs !!

The funny part here is that, primary applicant has to work ONLY for one employer while the dependents can work for ANY employer.

Are you saying that "Someone with a 3 month NIIT computer course diploma" is able to compete with "Bachelors and Masters degree and 12yrs of experience"? If thats the case, don't you think the 12yrs experience person is cheating the system. He is waiting for 10yrs for a green card and his professional skills are equal to a 3 month computer course. If the job can be done by a 3 month diploma person for possibly half the salary, then looks like the 12yrs experience guy was taking undue advantage of the system.

Are you saying that "Someone with a 3 month NIIT computer course diploma" is able to compete with "Bachelors and Masters degree and 12yrs of experience"? If thats the case, don't you think the 12yrs experience person is cheating the system. He is waiting for 10yrs for a green card and his professional skills are equal to a 3 month computer course. If the job can be done by a 3 month diploma person for possibly half the salary, then looks like the 12yrs experience guy was taking undue advantage of the system.

Either you are very naive or you have not worked in IT.

Yes, with a 3 month specific course you can 'get in'. Which means you can answer basic questions and clear the interview especially when the employer is eager to hire someone with GC (as against an H1B). But that doesn't mean they are good at their job or they will deliver.

I do agree that this won't work in other industries like semiconductor, mechanical, civil etc. But majority of H1Bs are IT people.

Archived