Visitor Visa extension beyond 6 months

jonnasn

Hello members

My parents got a multi entry visa for 10 years and they are here for their first visit. They will complete 6 months on 7th November 2014.

They are planning to visit my Aunt who is in jamaica in August-September for 2 weeks.

1 : Now is there any risk of going to Jamaica and coming back to US?

2 : Will POE issue new I94?

if yes, would they issue new I94 expiry date as 6 months from that date or will it be 7th Novemebr 2014?

If not, can we request them for another 6 months?

3 : What is the legal procedure to extend their stay in US beyond November for another month or so?

Thanks,

SJ

They are planning to visit my Aunt who is in jamaica in August-September for 2 weeks.

if yes, would they issue new I94 expiry date as 6 months from that date or will it be 7th Novemebr 2014?

3 : What is the legal procedure to extend their stay in US beyond November for another month or so?

EOS depends on the reason for the request. Without a genuine reason they can't get ext.

Hello members

My parents got a multi entry visa for 10 years and they are here for their first visit. They will complete 6 months on 7th November 2014.

Thanks,

SJ

1. Possible.

2. I doubt that.

3. You need to have a valid reason first to extend beyond I94 expiry date.

Asking for an extension the very first time they use their visitor visa is not, IMO, in their best interest. Extensions are for extraordinary circumstances.  Exiting the US and returning quickly and specifying that they want to stay another 6 months is also not appropriate.  They may or may not get another 6 months. In fact, they could be denied entry completely.

The fact that you are posting these questions indicates that there should be concern at the border about their intentions.

Hi, I have a similar problem. My parents have 10 yrs multiple entry visa(sponsored by my elder

Brother then PR now US citizen). They have sited thrice and are here in US with me (PR) from

Mar 2014 . Their visa is due for renewal next yr end. There is a need for extension beyond Sep for 3 months. May somebody clarify

1. Whether my brother alone should apply (being original sponsor) or can I apply for extension

Attaching necessary docs of financial support etc.

2. Will there be any problem when my parents apply for renewal of visitors vis next year?

3. I hope I can apply by end Jul

Grateful for early guidance pl

Hi, I have a similar problem. My parents have 10 yrs multiple entry visa(sponsored by my elder

Brother then PR now US citizen). They have sited thrice and are here in US with me (PR) from

Mar 2014 . Their visa is due for renewal next yr end. There is a need for extension beyond Sep for 3 months.

Why is there a "need"?

For visitors, there never can be a need to stay here. That's why they are visitors.

Hello members

Thanks,

SJ

They would only get a new I-94 for the remainder tim when they come back from Jamaica.

This is known in the trade as "turning around a flagpole," entering a nearby country and reentering the US shortly thereafter. It won't result in a new 6 months.

Your parents apply.  They need to have a good reason to request an extension; poor planning to attend an event with a long lead time (Nov is a long time from now) does not create a "need" to extend the stay.

No one can accurately predict how the extension will be viewed upon review for the next visa.  If they visited a number of times and asked for only one extension, that is very different from requesting an extension on every visit.  The fact your brother is a USC and could file for their residency is also a factor for a new stamping.

Thanks all the response....appreciate it...I understand that requesting for extension with out good reason is asking for trouble....

so when they are coming back from Jamaica... even.incase if the POE offiicer asks...if they r staying beyond 7th Nov....I believe they should say they r sticking to their initial travel plan.....

right?

Hi There...thanks for the reponse...

Could you be more elaborate on point 1?  what is the risk involved in going to Jamaica and coming back? 

As others pointed out one of three things might happen.

1. You parents get extended stay after their visit from Jamaica.

2. Duration of stay till initial I94 that was approved during their first entry to US.

3. Denied entry at POE.

They should TELL THE TRUTH.  Your post indicates that you may coach them to lie in order to gain admittance to the US.

well i dont understand why would they not get admittance back in the first place? they have their VISA for 10years and this is their first visit which has I94 till 7th Nov 2014.

Now in september they r going to Jamaica for 2 weeks and returning back by 20th Sep and have no intention of staying beyond 7th Nov in US. 

I am really not getting why few members are saying they might get POE denial?

Why is there a "need"?

For visitors, there never can be a need to stay here. That's why they are visitors.

Why is there a "need"?

Hi Joe,

My parents came in Mar. I have purchased a new home which will be handed over to me only by end oct/early nov . Further my sons first birthday is in nov end. Both being big functions in my life where I would like them to stay and hence the need. Can I have some guidance on the points raised pl?

Thanks all the response....appreciate it...I understand that requesting for extension with out good reason is asking for trouble....

so when they are coming back from Jamaica... even.incase if the POE offiicer asks...if they r staying beyond 7th Nov....I believe they should say they r sticking to their initial travel plan.....

right?

They need to stick to the truth. It is THAT simple.

Hi Joe,

My parents came in Mar. I have purchased a new home which will be handed over to me only by end oct/early nov . Further my sons first birthday is in nov end. Both being big functions in my life where I would like them to stay and hence the need. Can I have some guidance on the points raised pl?

You should have planned accordingly, these events will happen even when your parents are not in US.

Hi Rahul,

You r right as re my son but the house purchase was finalized only in May which could not be anticipated earlier.( and the delivery of the newly constructed house cannot be earlier than end Oct)Both the functions happen to synchronize in Nov I would love to have my parents till end Nov and hence the need for extension. My main question is whether I can apply or only my brother(who originally sponsored their visit based on which visa was issued).and whether such a request will come in the way of their renewal of visa next year . I am sure the peers will understand in the right spirit (instead of mocking or finding fault) and offer correct solution within the ambit of law.

Thanks in anticipation.

A housewarming in the US is a non-event. I and family members have purchased many over the years and have never had a housewarming party. 

That leaves child's birthday. Grandparents should have traveled at a more appropriate time if they wished to attend.

And they do not "need an extension"; they or you simply desire for them to stay longer. "Need" implies necessity and nothing you have said rises to that level.

Your parents apply for the extension.

Hi Rahul,

You r right as re my son but the house purchase was finalized only in May which could not be anticipated earlier.( and the delivery of the newly constructed house cannot be earlier than end Oct)Both the functions happen to synchronize in Nov I would love to have my parents till end Nov and hence the need for extension. My main question is whether I can apply or only my brother(who originally sponsored their visit based on which visa was issued).and whether such a request will come in the way of their renewal of visa next year . I am sure the peers will understand in the right spirit (instead of mocking or finding fault) and offer correct solution within the ambit of law.

Thanks in anticipation.

For EOS, they should have a very good reason. You can try your luck...

Archived