New I94

andisash

My son came to US in 2005 H4 visa and is now in EAD status from 2009 onwards (a derivative beneficiary of GC process). His I94 still has the original status of H4 as he never traveled out of US till date since then. He does not qualify for FAFSA student loan as he is neither on an F1 visa nor a GC holder. As advised by some, If he travels outside US and re-enters with a new I94 and on a parolee status, he may qualify for FAFSA student loan.

My question to the experts is if he travels to Canada on AP and re-enters US, will he get a new I94 with visa showing him as a Parolee?

Please advise at the earliest,seniors!

It is probably not true that a parolee doesn't qualify for FAFSA

It looks like as a parolee he can qualify for FAFSA --  https://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility/non-us-citizens     

"2. You have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing --

“Parolee” (you must be paroled for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are not in the United States for a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident)."

As for your second question ,  I "heard"  that in Mexico border there is an option to pay $12  (or so)  and get a new I-94.  Not sure if Canada has similar process.  I read one forum post which says someone got a new I-94 paying $10  but that was in 2006 ... with e-I-94  things might be different.   

Best is for him to travel to some country other than Canada/Mexico and enter as a Parolee.

Disqualifying your income as expected source of support for a child be having him exit the US and enter on a different status is not going to work.

The FAFSA site does not discourage  those from high income to apply.  In fact they say that there are many factors which are considered for eligibility ....  see this https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/financial-aid-myths.pdf     Do a 2 minutes google before preaching

P.S. Parolee is not a visa. Parolee is the method of entry. You can either be admitted into the country (admitted into a valid status) or paroled without a visa based on a pending AOS (and some other statuses or non-statuses). Parolee is extra murky, though, but since he would clearly qualify under the rule - just do it.

Disqualifying your income as expected source of support for a child be having him exit the US and enter on a different status is not going to work.

I don't think this is what the issue here. It's not about family income, it's about child status.

Archived