Driver's License Renewal from abroad (not living in US anymore)

Hi All,

I used to live in the US on H1B and had an MA license. I don't live there anymore but would like to renew my license as it is a convenience. As it turns out, it's a simple process to renew it online; I can put an MA address (friend's address perhaps and the new license will be mailed to me). Obviously this is a lie as the underlying condition is that I am a resident of MA. 

Should I go ahead with the renewal? Is it unlawful? Would it cause problems in the future?

Thanks a lot for your response. 

Thanks,

dlma

Hi All,

I used to live in the US on H1B and had an MA license. I don't live there anymore but would like to renew my license as it is a convenience. As it turns out, it's a simple process to renew it online; I can put an MA address (friend's address perhaps and the new license will be mailed to me). Obviously this is a lie as the underlying condition is that I am a resident of MA. 

Should I go ahead with the renewal? Is it unlawful? Would it cause problems in the future?

Thanks a lot for your response. 

Thanks,

dlma

Do not do that. Renew your license only when you are in US.

In some states even USCs temporarily assigned outside the US for their company cannot renew their DLs. They need to prove physical residency via a physical street address (not PO box).

You have NO need to a US DL if you do not live here. Fraudulently obtaining one can bite you later on if you do return to the US.

In case you  missed ... I said "In OP's case , it appears to be illegal though"

I case you missed it, it not just "appears" to be illegal. It *is* illegal.

And in case you didn't get it, I read your line the first time. My post was in direct response to your "it appears" part.

Do I really need to spell things out in detail for you?

I case you missed it, it not just "appears" to be illegal. It *is* illegal.

And in case you didn't get it, I read your line the first time. My post was in direct response to your "it appears" part.

Do I really need to spell things out in detail for you?

In case you do not get it ,    you (and I)  are not lawyers ... nor do we have all details about OP .    As such,  what we say here are our "unqualified" opinions.    And anyone who is matured will not say  something in black and white unless he/she  is qualified in that topic.  I know you want to claim to  be (fake) expert and pass judgement    but I do not claim to be expert and whatever I say here goes with a disclaimer ...... 

Isnt that obvious? people can misuse the system.

People misuse even when there is law ... for example ,  people pay for their PERM :)

Anyways,  this is no different than a USC renewing a MA license with a fake address ....   MA is now talking to give license to illegals even

In case you do not get it ,    you (and I)  are not lawyers ... nor do we have all details about OP .    As such,  what we say here are our "unqualified" opinions.    And anyone who is matured will not say  something in black and white unless he/she  is qualified in that topic.  I know you want to claim to  be (fake) expert and pass judgement    but I do not claim to be expert and whatever I say here goes with a disclaimer ...... 

You obviously still haven't gotten it. It is illegal. Even though I am not a lawyer, it still is illegal.

Archived