Can a H4 voluntarily work in research labs

shuchi

Hi,

I am a PhD degree holder in biomedicine presently H4 dependent status in USA. I am at present searching for post doctoral position in University and Hospitals. I have found a research lab in a non profit organization who is willing to offer me a position. They are at present waiting to hear about their funding (which might take 4-6 months from now).

Now my question to the forum is:

Can I work voluntarily without any pay in the research lab?

Hi,

I am a PhD degree holder in biomedicine presently H4 dependent status in USA. I am at present searching for post doctoral position in University and Hospitals. I have found a research lab in a non profit organization who is willing to offer me a position. They are at present waiting to hear about their funding (which might take 4-6 months from now).

Now my question to the forum is:

Can I work voluntarily without any pay in the research lab?

No.

If the research lab is a government research organization or affiliated with a university, you should look into H-1B (cap exempt, non profit)...although, they may still need to pay you.

For an H1, the employer of course has to pay at least the prevailing wage. If they can't do that, an H1 would get denied.

Archived