Switching jobs after receiving I-140 approval

ashah5

My employer has applied for my green card. I have two questions regarding the same

1. I received the I-140 approval which has a priority date of Sept 29 2013. This has been filed under EB2 category. Any clues what amount of time I am looking at before this date becomes current ? (I am from India)

2. If at this time I leave my employer, what happens to this green card application more specifically 

a. Will USCIS cancel this application ?

b. Can the current employer cancel this application

c. If the answer to any one of the above is 'yes" can I transfer this application under my new employer ?

There are many nuances to your area of questioning, therefore it is advisable to speak directly with a qualified U.S. immigration attorney. The Murthy Law Firm has many qualified attorneys who would be more than happy to answer your questions in detail and based on your specific circumstances.  

My employer has applied for my green card. I have two questions regarding the same

1. I received the I-140 approval which has a priority date of Sept 29 2013. This has been filed under EB2 category. Any clues what amount of time I am looking at before this date becomes current ? (I am from India)

2. If at this time I leave my employer, what happens to this green card application more specifically 
c. If the answer to any one of the above is 'yes" can I transfer this application under my new employer ?

Employer can revoke approved I-140. You retain PD and new employer has to start GC process from scratch.

Broadly speaking, the answers are as follows (obviously, as Attorney_22 pointed out, there will be nuances for which you should speak with an attorney before taking any action):

1. As of now, there is a looooooooong wait. Per current visa bulletin, it would take 5+ yrs (PDs Nov 04 or earlier are current). Based on "predictions" found on blogs, etc, the expectation is dates will move forward to somewhere between 2008-09 by September this year. Beyond that, who knows! It really depends on the # of EB3 to EB2 upgrades for India. For now, these upgrades are at a higher rate than new visas available!

2. If you leave, your employer may revoke the I-140 (USCIS can't do this on its own). In any event, there is no such thing as a "transfer" of I-140. Your new employer will have to go through the entire process again (Recruitment-PERM-I140-etc.). The only thing you can do is "port" (or retain) your Priority Date.

Remember, after 6 yrs on H-1B, you can get 3-yr extensions ONLY if there is a current approved (not revoked) I-140 filed on your behalf. If your employer revokes it, you cannot get H-1B extensions after 6 yrs.

Broadly speaking, the answers are as follows (obviously, as Attorney_22 pointed out, there will be nuances for which you should speak with an attorney before taking any action):

1. As of now, there is a looooooooong wait. Per current visa bulletin, it would take 5+ yrs (PDs Nov 04 or earlier are current). Based on "predictions" found on blogs, etc, the expectation is dates will move forward to somewhere between 2008-09 by September this year. Beyond that, who knows! It really depends on the # of EB3 to EB2 upgrades for India. For now, these upgrades are at a higher rate than new visas available!

2. If you leave, your employer may revoke the I-140 (USCIS can't do this on its own). In any event, there is no such thing as a "transfer" of I-140. Your new employer will have to go through the entire process again (Recruitment-PERM-I140-etc.). The only thing you can do is "port" (or retain) your Priority Date.

Remember, after 6 yrs on H-1B, you can get 3-yr extensions ONLY if there is a current approved (not revoked) I-140 filed on your behalf. If your employer revokes it, you cannot get H-1B extensions after 6 yrs.

i have my I-140 approved with my current company A during the first year of h1b. suppose i leave this company and move to company B. If the company A revokes I-140, i know i have to start from scratch with company B by porting PD from company A. should this process be done immediately with company B? if yes, what is the time period to do that? I still have 5 more yrs of h1b. is it possible to port it during 4th or 5th yr of H1b?

Again, it doesn't matter whether or not employer A revokes I-140 (when you move to another company B). In either case, company B goes through the same process (Labor, PERM, I-140) again.The process is exactly the same as the first time, just that company B needs to do it again.

Since you have plenty of time to hit your 6-year limit on H-1, there is no need for employer B to begin the GC process immediately or in the short term. Your will always be able to port your current PD.

The key criteria, when you want need H-1B extensions beyond the 6th year, is:

• There should be an approved (non revoked) I-140 filed on your behalf (by any employer)
  • OR in the absence of the above, PERM application applied on your behalf at least 1 year prior to the 6-year limit (i.e. before the end of the 5th year)

If these conditions are met, your then employer (B) can file 7th year and beyond H-1B extensions on your behalf.

Archived