H1 Approved during CPT

sumit9881@gmail.com

Hi,

I did my master's  here in USA. After that I registered for PhD course. Due to some reason I had to quit the course and I wanted to join a job. So i  transferred my course to ******* University. There I got CPT and while working on CPT within 2 months I got H1 and then I discontinued my course.  And I was working on H1 for last 3 years and My visa got transferred 2 times in between. 

Just few weeks back I changed job. And I got RFE when my attorney submitted RFE related documents to USCIS, I got an other RFE. This RFE is asking about my all student records, CPTs, paystubs during CPTS.

I am bit worried about  getting H1 from CPT and then quitting the course. Will this affect my visa approval?

Regards,

Sumit

Hi,

I did my master's  here in USA. After that I registered for PhD course. Due to some reason I had to quit the course and I wanted to join a job. So i  transferred my course to ******* University. There I got CPT and while working on CPT within 2 months I got H1 and then I discontinued my course.  And I was working on H1 for last 3 years and My visa got transferred 2 times in between. 

Just few weeks back I changed job. And I got RFE when my attorney submitted RFE related documents to USCIS, I got an other RFE. This RFE is asking about my all student records, CPTs, paystubs during CPTS.

I am bit worried about  getting H1 from CPT and then quitting the course. Will this affect my visa approval?

Regards,

Sumit

Check with your attorney whether you violated any immigration law by doing CPT. If the answer is yes then petition approval is doubtful.

I did not start working on CPT from the day one. During PhD i had already spent one year in college. So when I transferred my course to ******* they told I have already spent an year in college and as per rules I can get CPT after 6 months so they offered me CPT.

Yes It was a legitimate CPT. But  I wanted to get H1. 

So you went from CPT to H1, am I right??

I did not start working on CPT from the day one. During PhD i had already spent one year in college. So when I transferred my course to ******* they told I have already spent an year in college and as per rules I can get CPT after 6 months so they offered me CPT.

Yes It was a legitimate CPT. But  I wanted to get H1. 

No real university would claim such a thing, and no real university would "offer" CPT. CPT has to be an integral part of the curriculum.

So, this was clearly not legitimate.

With the name blocked by the admin, I assume this was one of these shady unknown institutions, probably a for-profit one, which wasn't accredited or barely accredited. These fraudsters falsely claim that their issuance of CPT is "legal." It isn't.

We can work on CPT for 8 hours.  If we work on CPT for 8 hours, those many days will be deducted from OPT. 

Looks like you still didn't understood the meaning of CPT work.

Yes you can work for 8 hrs on CPT, but that work should be part of your F1. But in your case, your CPT job and H1 job  are one and same, so how can that CPT work considered as part of F1.

For example, internship that's part of your F1 so you can use CPT for that. But not for FTE.

Archived