All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
paragkhanna

extended travel overseas can impact green card validity?

I currently hold a green card and am traveling overseas due to personal reasons for extended period of time.

I understand that one needs to keep visiting United states every six months to ensure the green card is valid? Is this correct and is there a defined minimum time period for which one needs to stay in the US?

Thanks.

please consult a lawyer.

apply for I-131 re-entry permit.

I currently hold a green card and am traveling overseas due to personal reasons for extended period of time.

I understand that one needs to keep visiting United states every six months to ensure the green card is valid? Is this correct and is there a defined minimum time period for which one needs to stay in the US?

Thanks.

Your assumption is not correct. Maintaining Residency is a nuanced subject. Merely coming back every 6 months for a few days is not enough by itself. As suggested talk to a Lawyer to look into your unique situation. Forums will not help in specific situations.

There are many factors that indicate abandonment of GC.  As already suggested talk to an attorney but get yourself "home" to the US if that is where you intend to "live".

Thanks.

If you "keep visiting" the US then you have lost the GC.

For a Permanent Resident, the US has to be the home. It is called "permanent residence" for a reason.

If your home is somewhere else and you are just visiting the US once in a while, then you are not a permanent resident anymore.

An LPR can visit abroad and return to his or her home in the US.