extended travel overseas can impact green card validity?

I currently hold a green card and am traveling overseas due to personal reasons for extended period of time.

I understand that one needs to keep visiting United states every six months to ensure the green card is valid? Is this correct and is there a defined minimum time period for which one needs to stay in the US?

Thanks.

please consult a lawyer.

apply for I-131 re-entry permit.

I currently hold a green card and am traveling overseas due to personal reasons for extended period of time.

I understand that one needs to keep visiting United states every six months to ensure the green card is valid? Is this correct and is there a defined minimum time period for which one needs to stay in the US?

Thanks.

Thanks.

If you "keep visiting" the US then you have lost the GC.

For a Permanent Resident, the US has to be the home. It is called "permanent residence" for a reason.

If your home is somewhere else and you are just visiting the US once in a while, then you are not a permanent resident anymore.

An LPR can visit abroad and return to his or her home in the US.

Archived