Is it mandatory to renew EAD of dependent to maintain I-485 status

raghavendrapb

Hi,

I am on AOS under EB3 (India), working on EAD. My spouse (my dependent in I-485 filing) has EAD, but not working. In fact, she never worked in US. 

Is it mandatory or necessary to renew her EAD to reside legally in US while the I-485 application is pending? Not renewing her EAD will affect in any way in getting the Green Card?

Thank you very much.

Appreciate Murthy Firm and this dynamic forum for this opportunity.

The pending I-485 keeps her legal.

She needs AP if she want to travel abroad, and EAD to work. If she doesn't want to work, she doesn't need an EAD. AP and EAD are nowadays combined in one document, though, and it is advisable to have AP, in case there of emergency travel.

The pending I-485 keeps her legal.

She needs AP if she want to travel abroad, and EAD to work. If she doesn't want to work, she doesn't need an EAD. AP and EAD are nowadays combined in one document, though, and it is advisable to have AP, in case there of emergency travel.

I guess I didn't proofread my post... I started to write "in case there is emergency travel", but intended to change it to "in case of emergency travel", and didn't delete the "there"...

I guess I didn't proofread my post... I started to write "in case there is emergency travel", but intended to change it to "in case of emergency travel", and didn't delete the "there"...

JoeF,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we are applying for her EAD and AP, but not up-to-date.

The pending AOS keeps her legal. The EAD will let her work if she wants. It may be a good idea to keep it renewed unless she will never want to work.

pontevecchio,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we are applying for her EAD and AP, but not up-to-date.

Archived