Switching from H1-B to O-1, Travel

babusun

I am currently working in the USA. I was on a H1-B visa till February 2014, and my employer filed for a O-1 petition on my behalf. It was approved and current O-1 status is valid till February 2017. I have not traveled out of country during this period.

I am planning to travel to my home country (India) in the coming few days, and it appears that I have to appear at the consulate for the visa interview before getting the visa stamp since I am switching visa categories.

Will there be too much questioning or screening given the visa category is being changed? Has anyone undergone a situation like this before? Is there anything in particular that I should watch out for? Any of your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Your employer and his attorney should provide you with appropriate documentation.

If you are afraid that your qualifications have been overstated and you are not qualified for O-1 visa, don't leave the country so you do not have to have your credentials reviewed. If you are qualified, don't worry.

• 7 months later...

Archived