Rental Car Accident

The property damage is relatively minor problem. Once a personal injury attorney becomes involved, costs go way up. Even accidents were no one goes to the hospital  can result in judgments of tens of thousands of dollars.

The property damage is relatively minor problem. Once a personal injury attorney becomes involved, costs go way up. Even accidents were no one goes to the hospital  can result in judgments of tens of thousands of dollars.

Can you recommend a personal injury attorney who will take my case.   I had a whiplash and a muscle pull in arm (needed some physiotherapy).    I could not find any attorney willing to take it.  All of them say  that judge will throw it out of window.  May be you know someone who can make me rich :)         Do not imagine too much ... bad for your health. 

From personal experience with a child's accident, I know that even "injuries" that did not require hospitalization and were not listed on the accident report can result in a lawsuit from " whiplash" treated by a chiropractor days later.  Fortunately, we carry excellent insurance and did not know about what I believe was a $40,000 payment to the "injured" individuals until I did a search of court records on another issue.

Been there, done that.  It is not my imagination but factual evidence.

Can you recommend a personal injury attorney who will take my case.   I had a whiplash and a muscle pull in arm (needed some physiotherapy).    I could not find any attorney willing to take it.  All of them say  that judge will throw it out of window.  May be you know someone who can make me rich :)         Do not imagine too much ... bad for your health. 

Depends on the state. But I agree with you: generally the injuries have to be serious. Or the person at fault is rich enough that a settlement is way better than going to court.

From personal experience with a child's accident, I know that even "injuries" that did not require hospitalization and were not listed on the accident report can result in a lawsuit from " whiplash" treated by a chiropractor days later.  Fortunately, we carry excellent insurance and did not know about what I believe was a $40,000 payment to the "injured" individuals until I did a search of court records on another issue.

Been there, done that.  It is not my imagination but factual evidence.

Do you even know the meaning of the word "evidence" ?  Evidence is when you cite a law or case law or something similar.   Not what a scare monger says in a forum.   

Depends on the state. But I agree with you: generally the injuries have to be serious. Or the person at fault is rich enough that a settlement is way better than going to court.

Anyone can sue for anything.  Injuries do NOT have to be "serious" - ie requiring hospitalization or even MD/DO medical treatment. An individual can even pay the attorney as well as allowing the "contingency" attorneys that advertise on TV.

It is ESSENTIAL that a driver comply with the minimum requirements of the state and also take additional according to his financial situation. A $1 million policy limit is not unreasonable for someone making close to $100,000 per year. Of course, someone could always leave the US and the injured party would have no way of recovering a judgment.

Anyone can sue for anything.  Injuries do NOT have to be "serious" - ie requiring hospitalization or even MD/DO medical treatment. An individual can even pay the attorney as well as allowing the "contingency" attorneys that advertise on TV.

It is ESSENTIAL that a driver comply with the minimum requirements of the state and also take additional according to his financial situation. A $1 million policy limit is not unreasonable for someone making close to $100,000 per year. Of course, someone could always leave the US and the injured party would have no way of recovering a judgment.

No you CANNOT sue  for anything.  For example in MA (a no fault state),  you cannot sue if the cost of treatment for injury does not exceed $2000  (happened for me).  Now,  some people will fake injury , rope in an unethical doctor and sue.  But that is known as Insurance Fraud .....  hope you know what it is.

The rental cars come with a state mandated minimum insurance by default.  It is a requirement per law. 

No you CANNOT sue  for anything.  For example in MA (a no fault state),  you cannot sue if the cost of treatment for injury does not exceed $2000  (happened for me).  Now,  some people will fake injury , rope in an unethical doctor and sue.  But that is known as Insurance Fraud .....  hope you know what it is.

The rental cars come with a state mandated minimum insurance by default.  It is a requirement per law. 

Today Progressive Person called me for asking Policy or Claim # from Visa Credit Card Benefit team, considering they provide Liability option. If they come to know later Visa dont provide Liability benefits, I hope Progressive will start tracing me. Please suggest on overcoming from Progressive.

Today Progressive Person called me for asking Policy or Claim # from Visa Credit Card Benefit team, considering they provide Liability option. If they come to know later Visa dont provide Liability benefits, I hope Progressive will start tracing me. Please suggest on overcoming from Progressive.

I am guessing Progressive is the insurance for the other party . 

Did you read the rental car contract in detail  to see the minimum  liability coverage the carry ?   Read ALL papers front to back

I am guessing Progressive is the insurance for the other party . 

Did you read the rental car contract in detail  to see the minimum  liability coverage the carry ?   Read ALL papers front to back

Yes OP insurance is Progressive. While taking rental car i have declined to take Enterprise Insurance and Liability Benefits. Even then after meeting accident when VISA credit card benefits doesn't have Liability benefits, You mean to say Rental car provides Minimum liability coverage?

Yes OP insurance is Progressive. While taking rental car i have declined to take Enterprise Insurance and Liability Benefits. Even then after meeting accident when VISA credit card benefits doesn't have Liability benefits, You mean to say Rental car provides Minimum liability coverage?

Normally yes.   From another rental company's contract -- 

"

18. Liability Protection and Your Indemnity

Anyone driving the car who is permitted to drive it by this Agreement will be protected against liability for causing bodily injury or death to others or damaging the property of someone other than the driver and/or you up to the minimum financial responsibility limits required by the law of the jurisdiction in which the accident occurs."

As I understand this is applicable for most states except CA and TX. 

Once again ,    unless you spend time to read the contract and google ,   NO ONE in any forum can help you.    If you do not want to spend time reading and understanding the contract and/or doing some basic research per what I mentioned,  you should hire an attorney.   

• 1 month later...

Visa CC benefits team has paid Rental car collision Damage full amount with Rental Agency. Also they are paying back $1000 to me which i paid as Collision Deductible fees with Rental Agency.

What happened to the liability claim (from the injured party) ?    Did the rental car's liability insurance pick it ?   If that is still hanging , it is not time for celebration yet

What happened to the liability claim (from the injured party) ?    Did the rental car's liability insurance pick it ?   If that is still hanging , it is not time for celebration yet

OP has called VISA Card benefits last week for liability coverage around $9000. VISA informed that they have dont have such options and claim cannot be processed. 

OP has called VISA Card benefits last week for liability coverage around $9000. VISA informed that they have dont have such options and claim cannot be processed. 

Progressive has sent statement with Current Amount due as  $30,479.32.. No Summary has been included. How to proceed now?

Progressive has sent statement with Current Amount due as  $30,479.32.. No Summary has been included. How to proceed now?

I told you .... read the contract of Rental Car.   Rental Car contract most likely include a state mandated minimum liability coverage by default.   Again,  You need to read the whole of contract.  If you cannot read or understand, hire an attorney. 

I told you .... read the contract of Rental Car.   Rental Car contract most likely include a state mandated minimum liability coverage by default.   Again,  You need to read the whole of contract.  If you cannot read or understand, hire an attorney. 

My job is not working out here.. I may be leaving India by this month end? What will be the case if i leave out of USA, there is no intention on moving out. Its happening becoz of Job UnCertainity.

My job is not working out here.. I may be leaving India by this month end? What will be the case if i leave out of USA, there is no intention on moving out. Its happening becoz of Job UnCertainity.

Archived