SSN with CPT

saip78

Dear All

I need a suggestion from you , I am in currently on F1 status and have the CPT date starting from Next week.

My question is : Can I apply now for the Social security number based on the CPT (which is dated next week) ? or sh`d I wait for the date as mentioned on the CPT and then apply for the same . Pl suggest

thanks

CPT employment authorization by itself does not allow you to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).  You also need to have the job offer from the employer who is associated / affiliated with the university course that is the basis for the CPT employment authorization to apply for and receive a SSN.  If you are using CPT employment authorization to work at an arbitrary job, then that is immigration abuse if not outright immigration fraud.

@catx: Thanks for the suggestion. I have the CPT with job offer from the employer who is associated / affiliated with the university course. My simple question is , since I have the same starting from Next week, can I apply for SSN with the CPT document and employment letter prior to start date, if so pl suggest me the list of any other documents to be taken to SSN office along with the CPT and employment letter.

@JoeF:  yes its part of the curriculum.

Archived