When to apply visa for parents for graduation?

Mr.

Hello experts,

I'm planning to graduate in December 2014 and would like to apply visa for my parents to attend my graduation ceremony. My questions are:

1) When can I apply visa for them provided I have the invitation for them from my school?

2) Should I sponsor them for their one month visit or they can do it for themselves?

3) Since this being my second masters, would that have any impact for the chance of their visa approval?

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello experts,

I'm planning to graduate in December 2014 and would like to apply visa for my parents to attend my graduation ceremony. My questions are:

1) When can I apply visa for them provided I have the invitation for them from my school?

2) Should I sponsor them for their one month visit or they can do it for themselves?

3) Since this being my second masters, would that have any impact for the chance of their visa approval?

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

1. Immediately or anytime.

2. There is no sponsorship for a visitor visa.

3. Doubtful that would impact the outcome.

1. That should help.

2. Their is NO sponsorship for visiting visa

3. That depends on your immigration history.

I said "doubtful that it will impact". 

OK. Thanks. Would there be any documents that I should be providing from my side other than the invitation letter for my graduation, for my parents visa interview?

about what??

See below.

1. That should help.

2. Their is NO sponsorship for visiting visa

3. That depends on your immigration history.

OK. Thanks. Would there be any documents that I should be providing from my side other than the invitation letter for my graduation, for my parents visa interview?

See below.

Your invitation letter and any official letter from your school confirming the date of graduation (like an official invitation letter from your school).

Your invitation letter and any official letter from your school confirming the date of graduation (like an official invitation letter from your school).

Thank you. Just curious. I got the letter from my school. Can I scan that and send to my parents or should I send it by post?

That means, if you haven't done any immigration fraud activity previously then you are good to go.

I don't think I've done so. Thank you.

Also, this question is for everyone. How much expenses should they be showing during their visit? And the most confusing question I have now is, should they be applying for a B1 or B2 visa?

Thank you. Just curious. I got the letter from my school. Can I scan that and send to my parents or should I send it by post?

I don't think I've done so. Thank you.

Also, this question is for everyone. How much expenses should they be showing during their visit? And the most confusing question I have now is, should they be applying for a B1 or B2 visa?

Scanned document is fine.

Let them show all their financial documents as there is no set limit for that.

It is a B2 visa.

Doesn't matter how much they show. They have to convince vo during the interview that your parents will come back after the vacation.

B1= Businees Visa

B2= Visiting Visa.

Thanks for the clarification Jairichi and Rahul.

Since, I'd be graduating in December and the invitation from the school says that my parents can visit for one month, does that mean they would only get B-2 visa for one month? Should that be just 30 or 31 days?

Visa and authorized stay are different. If they do not get a 10 year visa, they are more likely to get 6 months or a year than just a month.  They should say they plan a one month stay for your graduation if that is their intent.

It is appropriate for them to wait until fall when you are sure you will be graduating to go for visa interview and stamping.

Visa and authorized stay are different. If they do not get a 10 year visa, they are more likely to get 6 months or a year than just a month.  They should say they plan a one month stay for your graduation if that is their intent.

It is appropriate for them to wait until fall when you are sure you will be graduating to go for visa interview and stamping.

Thank you. I'd be graduating in December since, I have only couple of courses left. Meanwhile, starting the process ahead can help them gather all the documents too.

Can anyone tell if my parents should take an appointment together or separately in this case?

Also, I believe that there would be two DS-160 forms from them and where do they get the option for scheduling a combined appointment?

And, while filling out the DS forms, there are the 3 options for the B-visa.

BUSINESS & TOURISM (TEMPORARY VISITOR) (B1/B2)

BUSINESS/CONFERENCE (B1)

TOURISM/MEDICAL TREATMENT (B2)

Which one of the above should be choosen?

Can anyone tell if my parents should an appointment together or separately in this case?

Also, I believe that there would be two DS-160 forms from them and where do I get the option for scheduling a combined appointment?

Together would be good.

When you are booking appointment online you would have an option to schedule together.

Together would be good.

When you are booking appointment online you would have an option to schedule together.

Thank you. I'll look into that.

Also, could you look at the other question in my previous post which I've added later.

Can anyone tell if my parents should take an appointment together or separately in this case?

Also, I believe that there would be two DS-160 forms from them and where do they get the option for scheduling a combined appointment?

And, while filling out the DS forms, there are the 3 options for the B-visa.

BUSINESS & TOURISM (TEMPORARY VISITOR) (B1/B2)

BUSINESS/CONFERENCE (B1)

TOURISM/MEDICAL TREATMENT (B2)

Which one of the above should be choosen?

They should choose tourism.

Archived