Successful L1B stamping at Ottawa, Canada March 5,2014

LoanSurvivor

Successfully stamped L1B at Ottawa on March 5, 2014. Sharing my experience as this forum helped me alot - 

My Case - My existing L1B stamp was expired in Jan 2012 and I was working on extended I94. Instead of going for L1B extension (which usually gets RFE or rejection) I opted for new L1B stamping from Ottawa (as almost 99% rejection in India)

Canada Visitor Visa - 
Feb 5 - Submitted application for Canada visa online (Prior to that I already booked my US Visa stamping appointment for March 5 and mentioned that as my purpose of Visit, also attached interview letter, Hotel booking details as well as Rental Car booking details. Don't worry about these 3 things as you can reschedule all 3 in case of delays)
Feb 10 - I received updates to send my passport to NY office of CIC
Feb 19 - Received my passport with Canada Visitor Visa. I got it multi entry which is good till passport expiry date 

Onward Journey 
Mar 4 - Started driving to Ottawa from PA through I81. At the Canada Border, Officer at the booth asked to park the car in front of Immigration office. Inside another officer asked for purpose of visit and requested Interview letter. He went inside with passport and within few minutes he came back saying you are good go. He will stamp the passport with immigration information. Give your paper I94 if any here to record your departure from US

Visa Interview - 
Mar 5 - 
- Interview was at 9.30 am. I started at 8.30 am by Taxi. It takes less than 10 min from hotels in Downtown. 
- Person outside the embassy scanned me and asked to wait inside. 
- There will be another check similar to airport check inside and then you reach to front desk where lady checks your passport and DS160. Make sure you go with complete DS160. Carry additional photographs you may need them
- Lady will send you to counter 7 where person will take your documents. In my case he took Passport and 3 copies of I129S and 797 each. He gave one token with number, card with oath and another paper with L1B fees mentioned on it
- He will ask to go Counter 1 to pay the fees. If you are carrying Cashier Check give it here or you can pay Cash or Credit Card. I paid cash. 
- With the token number you have you will get called for finger prints at Counter 6. After finger prints you will get a yellow file with your above given documents and the two copies of receipts for the fees that you paid 
- Interviewer will call you with same token number. He will get the file from you and ask questions. here is what he asked to me
VO - When you completed your undergraduate
VO - When you completed your graduation what you did after that (thats all)
- He started signing the I129S, signed on the cash receipt and gave one copy to me. He Stamped on I129S, Cancelled the existing stamp from the passport and told me that your application has been approved. Gave me the paper with Loomis details and asked me to collect on Friday or Monday saying Stay Warm. :-)
- That was it. Around 1 hour including wait time and after 2 question visa granted
- There were around 10-15 people before me and two open counter. Everybody got their Visas.

Mar 6 - I received email from loomis with Waybill number at 7.15 PM. Checked status during night on visa website and status was Ready To Pickup

Mar 7 - Reached loomis at 9 am and collected passport. 

Arrival in US 
- After collecting passport started driving back. At around 11.30 am reached border point Thousand Island bridge. Since it was Friday it was bit crowded. 
- CBP officer at the booth checked passport and asked few questions like where do you leave (answered with US address) and why and when you visited Canada (answers clearly)
- He gave a paper and asked to park the car. He went inside with passports and asked me to go inside 
- Once you park another officer will take your car keys
- I went inside and waited for my turn. Lady officer called after sometime. She asked for I129S. Checked in/out dates, records they had. Once everything is ok your need to give right hand fingerprints and a photo. They still give the paper I94 and charge $6 for the same. 
- So after 1.30 hours at boarder and I was back on I80. 

Whole process from internal petition process, Canada Visa and Stamping was completed in 45 days or so. Hope this will help someone who is stuck on I94 in USA. 

Hi LoanSurvivor,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation of your experience.

I have couple of questions in my mind.

1) When you entered/exist Canada, did they take your existing US I-94 paper from your passport.

For my case, I have a valid I-94 till 2015, and worst case, if my visa request gets rejected, how will I come back to US.

2) What about dependent's VISA? Can I have my wife also going with me? Or, I will have to process the VISA later for her.

Thanks

Ab

1) When you entered/exist Canada, did they take your existing US I-94 paper from your passport.

For my case, I have a valid I-94 till 2015, and worst case, if my visa request gets rejected, how will I come back to US.

You need to record your departure. They won't ask you to submit. I handed over it to them. According to rule (i read somewhere on USCIS or CBP website) if you are applying Visa in Canada/Mexico and you get rejection you can not come back on same I94. Coming back on same I94 is applicable only if you are not applying for any Visa. Also when they reject they cancel the existing stamp as well even if it is valid. But take your chance I haven't seen any negative case so far. 

2) What about dependent's VISA? Can I have my wife also going with me? Or, I will have to process the VISA later for her.

Yes go with dependent. Same process applies. You need to submit DS160. Create your account for Visa interview Scheduling and add her under your account. There was a couple who did their L1B stamping in front of me on same day. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Lonesurvivor

Can you please tell me if your initial and the second petition were both L1b Blanket? I am asking becuase you said the initial process in US took some time. For L1b blanket if I understand we dont need any approval from USCIS

Thanks for the great explanation.

Yes my initial and second petition were both L1B. Infact I had three stampings first in 2008 then in 2010 in India and now in Canada. All are L1B blanket. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/23/2014 at 9:33 AM, LoanSurvivor said:

Yes my initial and second petition were both L1B. Infact I had three stampings first in 2008 then in 2010 in India and now in Canada. All are L1B blanket. 

Hi LoanSurvivor,

I am planning for my L1B renewal from Canada (Toronto Or Ottawa) by end of November, 2016. I have a few questions:

(1). What are different fees that is needed to be paid at the US Consulate?

(2). How many days ahead of VISA/I-94 expiry can I go for stamping?

(3). Which mode of travel is more suitable - driving vs flight?

Appreciate any help you could provide to me.

Thanks.

Archived