All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
santro1112

Got green card in EB1A - do I need to inform My employer

Dear Friends 

I have applied for Green card based my extraordinary abilities (EB1A). I have got my Card couple of days ago. 

Do I need to inform my employer about this. Till now, He does not know that I have filed an application. I am not sure about 
his reaction, once I tell him about my green card. I have my H1B until October 2014. I was wondering whether I can wait for 
few months before letting him know about this. 

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Dear Friends 

I have applied for Green card based my extraordinary abilities (EB1A). I have got my Card couple of days ago. 

Do I need to inform my employer about this. Till now, He does not know that I have filed an application. I am not sure about his reaction, once I tell him about my green card. I have my H1B until October 2014. I was wondering whether I can wait for few months before letting him know about this. 

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Not necessary to tell your employer.

Yes, you have to always keep your employer apprised of your legal immigration / employment authorization status for their employment / human resource records, i.e. I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form.  This is mandatory, not optional.  Employers are required by law to have this information in their records.  This applies to work visas, working under an EAD, permanent residency ("green" card) -- all these are forms of USCIS employment authorization.

It would be considered ordinary work place etiquette to inform HR. The legal responsibility is the employers. Why do you assume it is a problem to inform him? What can he do to you ?

You have to do it promptly.  While that may not be immediately, it is in the order of days -- not weeks, and especially not months.