OPT expiring and H1b not filed - options?

zubi1015

Hi,

I finished my MS in Computer Engineering and my OPT began even before I graduated. Right now, my F1 has already expired and my legal status is only a valid OPT. However, my OPT expires in July (no extension allowed thereafter). I haven't been able to find a job yet that sponsors my H1b visa so there's a very slim chance that my H1b will be filed in April. If I wish to stay in the US after my OPT expires, what are the options I have?

Without valid sponsorship from an employer, in a word, none.  When you got your F-1 visa you stated to the USCIS that you would return to your home country upon graduation +/- allowable optional practical training (OPT employment authorization).  You are at a point of needing to following that requirement.  There are no 'bridge' or other temporary visa that allows you to stay in the U.S. simply because that is what you want. 

Hi,

I finished my MS in Computer Engineering and my OPT began even before I graduated. Right now, my F1 has already expired and my legal status is only a valid OPT. However, my OPT expires in July (no extension allowed thereafter). I haven't been able to find a job yet that sponsors my H1b visa so there's a very slim chance that my H1b will be filed in April. If I wish to stay in the US after my OPT expires, what are the options I have?

Nothing. You have to go back after your OPT expires.

• 2 weeks later...

Zubi,

Its not a big deal. I did the same years before. My OPT employer backed out on me by April and i found a good school with dummy course like park safety or something and got an I-20 and did not leave the country. So, do the same and get an I20 from a school and in the mean time find a good consulting firm and apply for h1b.

Thanks,

Nureya

Zubi,

Its not a big deal. My OPT employer backed out on me by April and i found a good school with dummy course like park safety or something and got an I-20 and did not leave the country. So, do the same and get an I20 from a school and in the mean time find a good consulting firm and apply for h1b.

I like this statement. My GOD what a bad idea!!! OP be careful and do not be misled by this response.

Nureya, you realize you are counseling committing immigration fraud, and what you suggest is grounds for deportation and an entry ban.  Any school that provides an I-20 for a "dummy course" is also committing flagrant immigration fraud.  Clearly you have little or no respect for the U.S. and are more than willing to break the law and recommend that others do so as well.

Zubi,

Its not a big deal. I did the same years before. My OPT employer backed out on me by April and i found a good school with dummy course like park safety or something and got an I-20 and did not leave the country. So, do the same and get an I20 from a school and in the mean time find a good consulting firm and apply for h1b.

Thanks,

Nureya

That is FRAUD!

These fake universities get raided nowadays, and shut down.

Abuse of F1 will end your career in the US forever!

How can you even boast of your FRAUD??? Do you have no shame??? What a crook you are!!! People like you are the id*ots who make it harder every year to get an H1.

SHAME ON YOU!

Zubi,

Thanks,

Nureya

"Good school" with "dummy course", wow....!!!!!

You didn't left the country but I am sure you will be deported for the fruad you have committed.

Rahul,

I guess there is a miscommunication because of the word "dummy". When I say dummy, I mean to say a course which is easy to get admission into. These kind of courses have good RA/TA ship and am sure a student who spend 40k on his first Masters don't want to spend another 40k on his second masters. These courses will not fetch you a job easily, but at the same time it can extend your F1 status legally until you get your H1B.. EX: EHS, Park safety, Environmental courses.

This is completely legal and there is no fraud here. Am not sure why you are saying its fraud. I verified with immigration attorneys and I did this before 10 years (Many of my buddies did the same... of course everyone left the course within 1 or 2 semesters, after getting their H1b). After this, I got 2 H1B's stamped in Tijuana and there was never any problem. In the embassy/ border, immigration officers verified and they saw my second masters I-20 and asked why I left the school? I simply replied, I got my H1b and thats it ..i got my visa and am still travelling outside the US atleast once a month.

I never violated any immigration rules and its perfectly legal to join a second masters degree, which will not fetch you a job(its your own wish to join the course). I am not sure what "Dummy" means in your country. I am from latin American country and there that means a course which wont fetch you a job easily and usually students who earn very less mark will enroll in those courses.

Again there is nothing illegal, fraud in the above method. I think the confusion is the word Dummy.

On the other hand the advantage is 1) you will get scholarship easily, since you already have a masters degree in the US. 2) You dont want to stress so much as its such a easy course and and it will extend you to stay legally.

Nureya

Rahul

Dude, it does not matter 10 years before or now. It is completely legal to join a second masters to retain your status. Am not sure about the university you are mentioning dude. But dude, its completely 100% legal.

Coming to my case i did not finish because i was got my H1B at that time. So i went to the international student office and withdrew from my case dude and they asked me to leave within the UNITED STATES within15 days and i did so. I went for my H1B stamping and was questioned there and was questioned in the border. After that i entered the US and again went for my second H1B and i showed all my I-20's and got my second stamping too and finally GC.

There is nothing unethical or fraud in doing this. Ok dude.

Ponto,

I agree with you.

Nureya

Rahul dude,

Sorry i did not answer your question. I already had a Masters degree at that time and the whole purpose of enrolling into a new masters degree is to extend the time legally inside the US(to avoid the gap between OPT end date and H1B start date of OCT 1) and also get scholarship so i have enough money until i get 1 or 2 semesters. Instead of arguing with me, call an immigration attorney and check out this option dude.

Nureya

Rahul dude,

Sorry i did not answer your question. I already had a Masters degree at that time and the whole purpose of enrolling into a new masters degree is to extend the time legally inside the US(to avoid the gap between OPT end date and H1B start date of OCT 1) and also get scholarship so i have enough money until i get 1 or 2 semesters. Instead of arguing with me, call an immigration attorney and check out this option dude.

Nureya

You seem to have an affliction to the word "dude"...

That's not professional speak.

And what happened to your promise to go back to your home country after finishing your studies?

We know the rules. You obviously don't...

Rahul dude,

Nureya

Joining in some school in order to have legal status is not an option. Of course that's not illegal.

So you just joined the school so that you can have legal status?? Not to study??

Rahul

Dude, it does not matter 10 years before or now. It is completely legal to join a second masters to retain your status. Am not sure about the university you are mentioning dude. But dude, its completely 100% legal.

Coming to my case i did not finish because i was got my H1B at that time. So i went to the international student office and withdrew from my case dude and they asked me to leave within the UNITED STATES within15 days and i did so. I went for my H1B stamping and was questioned there and was questioned in the border. After that i entered the US and again went for my second H1B and i showed all my I-20's and got my second stamping too and finally GC.

There is nothing unethical or fraud in doing this. Ok dude.

Ponto,

I agree with you.

Nureya

I never said that it's illegal or unethical.

What you did is nothing but immigration fraud, its not just mean who is saying this.

Reason : F1 visa is a student Program. Student will leave US or file for work visa (if he has a job) AFTER graudating. But in your case you joined a school just to stay in status. To be frank these kind of cases were very less during your time so you got your visa, but now things have changed as the number of cases abusing the system got increased.

I never said that it's illegal or unethical.

What you did is nothing but immigration fraud, its not just mean who is saying this.

Reason : F1 visa is a student Program. Student will leave US or file for work visa (if he has a job) AFTER graudating. But in your case you joined a school just to stay in status. To be frank these kind of cases were very less during your time so you got your visa, but now things have changed as the number of cases abusing the system got increased.

Dude you are hilarious. Basically you are saying the US immigration/consulate officers/port of entry officers and my immigration attorney are all idiots.I keep posting here, they interviewed me and they asked why i quit and i said because i got my h1b. They were convinced and gave my H1B visa. Now how did i create an immigration fraud? Can you show an immigration document where it says, you cannot move from F1 ->F1(dicsontinue course) -> H1B and its an immigration fraud. There are guys who came here on F1 and for some reason they could not continue and changed to H1B without even completing first Masters. In my case, i finished first Masters degree from a reputed university and then enrolled in second masters and withdrew before 15 days and left the country on time and re-entered with a stamped H1B.

Its not what you think or i think , its whether i violated any F1, H1B laws and i did not. If you feel its not right, you dont have to take the tip, but dont confuse/scare other F1 students who are here for help.

Thanks,

Nureya

***No dude, you are wrong (Actually someone did it in 2009 or 2010). As i said before, peoples intent changes ....you planned to do Masters in psychology and got a visa. But, once you came here , you decided to change to Arts and there is nothing wrong with that dude. Dude the important thing is whether the visa officer is convinced by you when you go for a H1b stamping? In my case, once i got my H1B i left the country immediately and she was completely satisfied and no issues at all dude.

Ok dude, now you can call your immigration attorney and confirm dude.

Nureya

Dude you are hilarious. Basically you are saying the US immigration/consulate officers/port of entry officers and my immigration attorney are all idiots.I keep posting here, they interviewed me and they asked why i quit and i said because i got my h1b. They were convinced and gave my H1B visa. Now how did i create an immigration fraud? Can you show an immigration document where it says, you cannot move from F1 ->F1(dicsontinue course) -> H1B and its an immigration fraud. There are guys who came here on F1 and for some reason they could not continue and changed to H1B without even completing first Masters. In my case, i finished first Masters degree from a reputed university and then enrolled in second masters and withdrew before 15 days and left the country on time and re-entered with a stamped H1B.

Its not what you think or i think , its whether i violated any F1, H1B laws and i did not. If you feel its not right, you dont have to take the tip, but dont confuse/scare other F1 students who are here for help.

Thanks,

Nureya

You just joined some school just to stay in US, not to study on F1. Don't you think that's misuse of F1??

F1 is a student program, not for filling the gap between two statuses.

***No dude, you are wrong (Actually someone did it in 2009 or 2010). As i said before, peoples intent changes ....you planned to do Masters in psychology and got a visa. But, once you came here , you decided to change to Arts and there is nothing wrong with that dude. Dude the important thing is whether the visa officer is convinced by you when you go for a H1b stamping? In my case, once i got my H1B i left the country immediately and she was completely satisfied and no issues at all dude.

That's correct. You can change your course at any time, but in your case that's different. You didn't wanted to study, you just wanted to stay in US so you used F1 program.

Coming to visa interview, during your time these cases were very less so you got the visa.

Rahul Dude,

If i misused my visa/status, am sure immigration officials /immigration attorney/consulate officials would have known (we are geting into a ciccular debate here. In your eyes, it looks like i misused my visa/status and i am a fraud). I cannot change what you feel. You can very well ignore the tip.

Coming to visa interview, during your time these cases were very less so you got the visa.

****The visa officer was convinced that i was honest and she gave the visa.

If you still have doubts, Please talk to immigration attorneys dude.

Gracias,

Nureya

If i misused my visa/status, am sure immigration officials /immigration attorney/consulate officials would have known (we are geting into a ciccular debate here. In your eyes, it looks like i misused my visa/status and i am a fraud). I cannot change what you feel. You can very well ignore the tip.

Well I have seen many people how got their visa even though they have abused the system. Their are some cases where they got their GC's by paying all the processing fees.

Why you got the visa? I don't know. Each H1 is a different case.

Again, I  am asking you the same question. Don't you think that you misused F1 program by simply joining in some school?? Answer this one.

Rahul Dude,

If i misused my visa/status, am sure immigration officials /immigration attorney/consulate officials would have known

They will eventually catch up with it and you will run into problems.

And, please, stop with this "dude" stuff already. Watched too much "Lebowski"???

Archived