Can We Request Passport Return While Administrative Processing Is ON

Noaman

Hi,

I had my interview on 3rd February 2014 @ Ottawa and I have been given 221g white slip. Visa officer keeps my passport and told me they have to have further verification on my case and it will take 6 to 7 days and keep checking your case status online.

My question is I have emergency and I need to travel to India by 15th February in this regards can I ask to return my passport if yes

1. whom should I ask for my passport return

2. can I call embassy or email embassy

3. how much time they will take to return my passport

Please let me know if anyone had this situation and retained the passport.

I appreciate your responses.

Thanks

Noaman. 

Hi,

I had my interview on 3rd February 2014 @ Ottawa and I have been given 221g white slip. Visa officer keeps my passport and told me they have to have further verification on my case and it will take 6 to 7 days and keep checking your case status online.

My question is I have emergency and I need to travel to India by 15th February in this regards can I ask to return my passport if yes

1. whom should I ask for my passport return

2. can I call embassy or email embassy

3. how much time they will take to return my passport

Please let me know if anyone had this situation and retained the passport.

I appreciate your responses.

Thanks

Noaman. 

Yes, you can request for return of your passport. Call or mail embassy. It should be immediate.

• 3 months later...

Jairichi and rahul412,

I got my passport and I am in India now. As I mention early I was having some emergency and need to travel back to india, since I came to India got engaged in personal matters therefore could not reply to you guys.

As you guys advise me to email the embassy and I did email them but got no response and I waited for a week then after I personally went to the embassy and explain my emergency to one of the officer who attend me and ask for my passport in a few minutes I got my passport without any question.

Thank you both of you for your quick response but here I have something more to have yours and others advise.

As you know I have got 221g white slip after all regular question like who you are working for, how long you are in united states, what is your role in the company, your qualification etc etc after all these question visa officer told me he has to do further investigation on my case because he is not able to find my current employer and it will not take more than 5 to 6 business days and while handing over 221g white slip to me he round up an email address and told me if you have any question you can email on this email address.

I had my interview on 3rd February 2014, on 5th February 2014 I got an email from the embassy and ask to provide some documents which I have provided at the same day through email.

since then I keep checking my case status online and noticed my case status dates have been changing

first change from 3rd February 2014 to 19th February 2014

second change from 19th February to 12th March 2014

since then its been more than 2 months and there is no update on my case

please advise if anybody have gone through with same situation.

I appreciate your valuable advises.

Thank You

Noaman.

Jairichi and rahul412,

I got my passport and I am in India now. As I mention early I was having some emergency and need to travel back to india, since I came to India got engaged in personal matters therefore could not reply to you guys.

As you guys advise me to email the embassy and I did email them but got no response and I waited for a week then after I personally went to the embassy and explain my emergency to one of the officer who attend me and ask for my passport in a few minutes I got my passport without any question.

Thank you both of you for your quick response but here I have something more to have yours and others advise.

As you know I have got 221g white slip after all regular question like who you are working for, how long you are in united states, what is your role in the company, your qualification etc etc after all these question visa officer told me he has to do further investigation on my case because he is not able to find my current employer and it will not take more than 5 to 6 business days and while handing over 221g white slip to me he round up an email address and told me if you have any question you can email on this email address.

I had my interview on 3rd February 2014, on 5th February 2014 I got an email from the embassy and ask to provide some documents which I have provided at the same day through email.

since then I keep checking my case status online and noticed my case status dates have been changing

first change from 3rd February 2014 to 19th February 2014

second change from 19th February to 12th March 2014

since then its been more than 2 months and there is no update on my case

please advise if anybody have gone through with same situation.

I appreciate your valuable advises.

Thank You

Noaman.

Check with employer whether they were contacted. If so, whether they responded properly. Get in touch with employer's attorney. Nothing much can be done other than this. Better option is to find a new employer and get a cap exempt H1B petition approved.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Noaman,

Hope you will get the good news very soon.

Unfortunately I am in the same situation, I had an interview on May 21st and VO told me that everything looks  good except they need to do some name background verification and she asked me to wait for 3-5 business days. Since then I haven't heard anything from them or neither any change in the status.

I am also planning to go back to India. what do you suggest is that a right decision?

Hi ash310,

we are not sure how much time they will take to decide a decision on our visa, I can not suggest anything because anytime they can ask to come and pickup visa, but if you have multiple entry visa for Canada you can come back to India.

please keep update on you case

Thanks

Noaman. 

Hi Noaman,

My case status date has been updated to 30 May 2014 but the status is still in Administrative Processing. I tried calling to U.S Department of State today, according to them it looks like the Administrative Processing is completed on my case and the officer at the consulate needs to issue the visa. My passport is already with them and waiting to change the status :-(

How about yours? Is it still the same? Did you try calling U.S Department of State?

Thanks

Ashraf

Hi Ashraf,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes my case status is still same, but I never try to call US Department Of States in fact I never know if we can call and find out the status of our case.

keep checking your email, I heard sometimes status never change or change later but as you said if the administrative processing is completed then you get an email from the embassy for your visa collection I hope you will get your visa soon.

Ashraf as you said you had a call to US Department Of States, I will appreciate you if you please share the calling number and call experience between you and the officer, so that I can also call and find out my case status, It will be great help for me.

which embassy you had the interview? mine is Ottawa.

Jazakallah.

waiting for your reply eagerly

Noaman.

Hi Noaman,

I am really sorry I wasn't able to reply you back early. Actually I received my passport on Friday and I was kind of busy with wrapping up the things in Canada and coming back to US. But don't worry I will try to guide you as much as I can which will help you to get the passport.

I have attended the interview at Calgary consulate.

You can call US state Department at 202-485-7600 (M-F 8:30 AM - 5:00PM EST). You can go their website below http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/contact.html.

Once you call the above number it will be answered by automated teller machine, select the appropriate options and it will connect you to the visa service agent. Be ready with the Passport number, DOB, and DS 160 confirmation number. They will give you little extra information other than just saying "Admin Processing" but dont expect too much. And also you can mention that its been more than 60 days and no change in the status.

Hoping that murthy forums will not delete the number or website which I mentioned above. If in case they do send me an email and I will send you the complete details. You can find it by going by going to my profile.

Hoping I answered all your questions and Insha allah you will get the good news very soon. Don't forget to send me an email after the call  I will guide you with the next steps. 

Khuda Hafiz

Assalamualikum,

Dear Ashraf first congrats to you for your visa and thanks for the information.

I will call the us state department and then will email you.

here is my email address ***********@gmail.com

Thanks for your help.

Jazakallah.

Hi Noaman,

As you can see, murthy forums will not allow us to publish the email address in the blog. You need to add it in your profile. I already added mine to my profile, you can click on my profile name and you should be able to see my email id. 

Let me know the updates from your side after your call to State Department. 

Khuda Hafiz

Archived