H1 to F1 status

gforgemini

I got my H1 under US masters quota and finishing my six years H1 visa in this year. my employer is giving me options to stay in US. I have some questions below regarding this issue:

1. Can I switch back to student visa status after completing my 6 years of H1B to remain in US (instead of leaving the country for one year)?

2. If I become student again, do I get again my new OPT and fresh H1B visa after completing this new masters degree in US?

I got my H1 under US masters quota and finishing my six years H1 visa in this year. my employer is giving me options to stay in US. I have some questions below regarding this issue:

1. Can I switch back to student visa status after completing my 6 years of H1B to remain in US (instead of leaving the country for one year)?

2. If I become student again, do I get again my new OPT and fresh H1B visa after completing this new masters degree in US?

1. Looks like your intention is to stay in US in whatever status, if possible. Tough to get F1 when you have completed 6 years on H1B.

2. You might get OPT but not a fresh H1B unless you stay outside US for 365 days before a new cap subject H1B petition could be filed.

You cannot work on H1 unless and until you stay out of US for 1 yr. F1 is not an option all, and even after getting your F1 and OPT you can't work after that since you are no longer eligible for H1.

Archived