Ottawa H1B VISA Renewal Experience - Feb 6th 2014

sankeerth

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my H1b visa experience recently at US consulate in Ottawa.

This is my 2nd H1B Visa renewal. My first one was from Calgary in 2009.

My Background:

-  I am a fulltime employee at an Insurance company in Boston
-  Did my Masters is Software Engg in US (Graduated 2008 March)

-  Started working on H1B since Oct 2008

-  Changed my F1 -> H1B went to stamping in 2009 at Calgary Canada, got approved.
-  Changed employer to Fulltime in 2013, went for stamping in Ottawa (Feb 6th 2014),

Steps:

1) First get the Canadian Visa (Its better if you have a multiple entry VISA)

Apply here:  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

2) Fill out the DS160 Form (You do not need to fill out the whole form, but at least get to a point where you get the confirmation number so you can use that to schedule an appointment)

Apply here:  https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx

3) Schedule an Appointment with the Ottawa Consulate (You can change as many times as you want-the deadline is 1 day before your scheduled date)

Apply here:  https://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/ss_country_welcome

4) After making sure you got all the documents from your Employer/Client complete you DS160 at least 2 days ahead of your Appointment date.

5) I drove to Ottawa from Massachusetts my appointment was on Feb 6th at 9:30 am, I drove on Tuesday Feb 4th.

6) I stayed at The Days Inn, which is like 15mins away from the consulate.

7) I had my appointment morning at 9:30 A.M and I reached consulate by 9:00 A.M, I have taken accommodation at Days Inn (Ottawa West) which is 15mins drive from the consulate, it’s a bit further out of the city but clean with free parking, breakfast and internet.

Docs I carried:(Better to carry than not)
DS-160 Confirmation,

MRV receipt (apt confirmation),

Passport
797A
I129, LCA, Other Supporting for H1B docs*(lawyer usually gives u a stack)
Employer Letter, Manager Recommendation Letter
Pay Stubs
Tax Returns
W2

Resume (This is a must have @ this Consulate)
Mark Sheets etc..

On the day of Appointment:

1) I parked my car two buildings away from the Consulate (the paid parking is 4$ for 30min and $14 per day. I chose the second option)

2) I was there in the consulate at around 8:50, waited in the line. The Ottawa consulate is open from 8AM, this consulate is small so you will be allowed inside the 1st wait lobby check.

3) Now, it is the time for a security check- you will be asked to put everything in the box with nothing in your pockets)

4) You will then asked to proceed to the Visa Appointment section before which you will checked for your

1) Passport, 2) DS160 and your 3) H1B 797 form.

5) You will be asked to see Counter 7 for check-in; he would give u r docs in a pamphlet.

6) When my turn came in, I submitted my Passport along with DS160 and H1B. You will be given a token number.

7) You will be then called in to Counter 6 where in your fingerprints will be taken and your documents will be returned to you in a Yellow folder asking you to wait for your number to be called.

8) This is my Observation:  In Ottawa Consultate  they stamp your DS160 and on it they confirm the PIMS verification Y or N

(If its N it may get 2 days delayed as per my freinds experience)

There are two windows open taking the interview, I was called on to the first window, these were the questions asked:

1) How long have you been in US?

2) When did complete your un-graduation?

3) Which school & majors, when did u graduate?

4) What were you doign since then?

5) Whats the nature of your company's bussiness?

6) What do you do for your company?

Even before I finished my answer, he confirmed that I have convinced him enough and gave me the Passport Loomis Pick up info. The interview was clean; it is just that we have to be honest.

Journey:
I live in Boston, so I drove from Boston through New Hampshire, Vermont to Montreal; Drive was good as I started right before we had this massive snowstorm. My appointment was on Thursday so I took off on Tuesday and left to Montreal stayed at a friend place for that night and picked my other friend from Texas and we drove together on Wednesday and stayed @ the Days Inn. Attended the interview, both of us got our Visa’s approved

Ottawa Cuisines: Kottu Rooti (awesome dosas - especially egg dosa), Shafali, Tandoori Fusion(not so great)

My recommendation to everyone is don't panic, It is very important that we should keep ourselves relaxed during or before the interview, Don’t think too much, We are all professionals and have worked hard and crossed many obstacles to get to the point where we are and should continue to do the same. I wish everyone good luck and best wishes!! If any questions please I am open to answer them.

All the very best to all the guys who wish to be here for their Visa Renewal

Thanks for sharing your experience. You are right about being calm during the interview no matter what questions are asked. I feel it shows on your face if you are confident and being honest. 

I am planning on driving to Ottawa from  PA through I-81 N via Thousand Islands. Is it safe to take own car ? How is to drive in Canada especially Ottawa ? 

At the border does it take a lot of time to check the paper work . You can email me your responses or reply here. 

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my H1b visa experience recently at US consulate in Ottawa.

This is my 2nd H1B Visa renewal. My first one was from Calgary in 2009.

My Background:

-  I am a fulltime employee at an Insurance company in Boston

-  Did my Masters is Software Engg in US (Graduated 2008 March)

-  Started working on H1B since Oct 2008

-  Changed my F1 -> H1B went to stamping in 2009 at Calgary Canada, got approved.

-  Changed employer to Fulltime in 2013, went for stamping in Ottawa (Feb 6th 2014),

Steps:

1) First get the Canadian Visa (Its better if you have a multiple entry VISA)

Apply here:  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

2) Fill out the DS160 Form (You do not need to fill out the whole form, but at least get to a point where you get the confirmation number so you can use that to schedule an appointment)

Apply here:  https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx

3) Schedule an Appointment with the Ottawa Consulate (You can change as many times as you want-the deadline is 1 day before your scheduled date)

Apply here:  https://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/ss_country_welcome

4) After making sure you got all the documents from your Employer/Client complete you DS160 at least 2 days ahead of your Appointment date.

5) I drove to Ottawa from Massachusetts my appointment was on Feb 6th at 9:30 am, I drove on Tuesday Feb 4th.

6) I stayed at The Days Inn, which is like 15mins away from the consulate.

7) I had my appointment morning at 9:30 A.M and I reached consulate by 9:00 A.M, I have taken accommodation at Days Inn (Ottawa West) which is 15mins drive from the consulate, it’s a bit further out of the city but clean with free parking, breakfast and internet.

Docs I carried:(Better to carry than not)

DS-160 Confirmation,

MRV receipt (apt confirmation),

Passport

797A

I129, LCA, Other Supporting for H1B docs*(lawyer usually gives u a stack)

Employer Letter, Manager Recommendation Letter

Pay Stubs

Tax Returns

W2

Resume (This is a must have @ this Consulate)

Mark Sheets etc..

On the day of Appointment:

1) I parked my car two buildings away from the Consulate (the paid parking is 4$ for 30min and $14 per day. I chose the second option)

2) I was there in the consulate at around 8:50, waited in the line. The Ottawa consulate is open from 8AM, this consulate is small so you will be allowed inside the 1st wait lobby check.

3) Now, it is the time for a security check- you will be asked to put everything in the box with nothing in your pockets)

4) You will then asked to proceed to the Visa Appointment section before which you will checked for your

1) Passport, 2) DS160 and your 3) H1B 797 form.

5) You will be asked to see Counter 7 for check-in; he would give u r docs in a pamphlet.

6) When my turn came in, I submitted my Passport along with DS160 and H1B. You will be given a token number.

7) You will be then called in to Counter 6 where in your fingerprints will be taken and your documents will be returned to you in a Yellow folder asking you to wait for your number to be called.

8) This is my Observation:  In Ottawa Consultate  they stamp your DS160 and on it they confirm the PIMS verification Y or N

(If its N it may get 2 days delayed as per my freinds experience)

There are two windows open taking the interview, I was called on to the first window, these were the questions asked:

1) How long have you been in US?

2) When did complete your un-graduation?

3) Which school & majors, when did u graduate?

4) What were you doign since then?

Even before I finished my answer, he confirmed that I have convinced him enough and gave me the Passport Loomis Pick up info. The interview was clean; it is just that we have to be honest.

Journey:

I live in Boston, so I drove from Boston through New Hampshire, Vermont to Montreal; Drive was good as I started right before we had this massive snowstorm. My appointment was on Thursday so I took off on Tuesday and left to Montreal stayed at a friend place for that night and picked my other friend from Texas and we drove together on Wednesday and stayed @ the Days Inn. Attended the interview, both of us got our Visa’s approved

Ottawa Cuisines: Kottu Rooti (awesome dosas - especially egg dosa), Shafali, Tandoori Fusion(not so great)

My recommendation to everyone is don't panic, It is very important that we should keep ourselves relaxed during or before the interview, Don’t think too much, We are all professionals and have worked hard and crossed many obstacles to get to the point where we are and should continue to do the same. I wish everyone good luck and best wishes!! If any questions please I am open to answer them.

All the very best to all the guys who wish to be here for their Visa Renewal

Congrats for approving Visa and thx for sharing.

What dis you say for these:

Hi Sankeerth,

Congrats on your visa approval:) 

I have few questions? Actually my interview is on feb 19th, so am planing to drive from NJ to Ottawa. 

• Will this GPS works in Canada too (i mean in Ottawa)?  My GPS is nt latest one so am just worried if it works there or not. Please confirm?
  • And i got H1 amendment approval 1 week back, so will my PIMS get updated by the time i attend interview?
  • Me and my cousin have interview on same date and same time. we r from same employer too. will that be a problem?
  • What answer do i need to give if he asks me " WHY OTTAWA?"  for interview I mean.

Hi chinnireddy383

Yes you can drive to Ottawa from NJ, just make sure the weather is good to drive accross the border

Q1) Will this GPS works in Canada too (i mean in Ottawa)?  My GPS is nt latest one so am just worried if it works there or not. Please confirm?

A)   Yes if its updated with the latest maps (I had life time free map updates for my Garmin)

Q2) And i got H1 amendment approval 1 week back, so will my PIMS get updated by the time i attend interview?

A)   PIMS cant be verified before you attned the intw (worst case it would take 2 extra bussiness days to update)

Q3) Me and my cousin have interview on same date and same time. we r from same employer too. will that be a problem?

A)  It wont matter you can go together (just keep your excitement to yourself when your visa gets approved :)

Q4) What answer do i need to give if he asks me " WHY OTTAWA?"  for interview I mean.

A)   Well this differs with the VO, some expect you to say the truth, so say it :) - H1B Renewal

You can say that I m meeting my freinds in Canada, Going for a Ski Trip etc..

Google "Things to do in Ottawa in Feb" and you would get many ideas

Hi Chinnareddy and Sankeerth

I am attending visa interview on 19th and my h1 got approved on 3rd Feb.

i have sent an email to the consulate regarding the PIMS.

My Question: . My h1 got approved on Feb 3. (EAC.....6). Can you please let me know if  i need to do some thing for the PIMS update before i come to the visa interview on Feb 19th ? 

Answer from consulate:  we don’t validate PIMS.

i did not understand what they mean by not validating PIMS..

hi PositiveThinking The drive was good, and driving your own car would be fine, just check the weather before a day or two and plan your trip. Good luck with your intw

Thank you . Will just my Geico Insurance be good enough to go across the border ? Do i need a carnet ? This is very expensive especially when you are going across the border for a week. 

http://www.caa.ca/travelling/carnet/  

Please advise. 

Hi PositiveThinking

Dont worry about anything remember these

1) Get Gieco Insurance Cards for Canada - You are covered

2) Take some Canadian cash incase ur Debit cards wont work - usually BOA has Canadian money

3) Canadian Port of Entry is  like a EZPass toll both, may take max 5-10min to clear

P.S - when I was in Canda my car wouldnt start and I called Geico and they send emergency roadside assistance within 15min free of charge to do a Jumpstart

So yes from my experince its like a long drive to a diff country and rest all is the same like USA

Hi PositiveThinking

Dont worry about anything remember these

1) Get Gieco Insurance Cards for Canada - You are covered

2) Take some Canadian cash incase ur Debit cards wont work - usually BOA has Canadian money

3) Canadian Port of Entry is  like a EZPass toll both, may take max 5-10min to clear

P.S - when I was in Canda my car wouldnt start and I called Geico and they send emergency roadside assistance within 15min free of charge to do a Jumpstart

So yes from my experince its like a long drive to a diff country and rest all is the same like USA

Thank you Sankeerth. I am planning on going in first week of May. Weather should be little better. I will get the Geico Insurance for Canada. One last clarification at the port of entry in Canada how long do they stamp your visa for to stay in Canada ? 

Hello Sankeerth,

This is Naveen, I took my visa interview also on 6th of Feb at 9:30 AM. I too got approved and VO gave me to track the passport.

Since then I haven't received any email from the consulte or loomis to pick up my passport. So when did you received email from the loomis to pick your passport. And also how long it would take usually to get the passport.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Hi PositiveThinking

There is no end time stammped like they do in the USA(meaning no sort of declared i94)

But typically u can stay till 180 days max as visitor

Good to know. Thanks for all the useful information. I hope my Amendment comes through soon so I can book dates. The only thing about my current project is that they will not give client letter but just an email stating my responsibilities. I hope it should be fine. 

Archived