All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sid82

FOIA request - Referred to NVC

Hello Friends,

I raised a FOIA request with USCIS regarding the I-140 my employer has filed. To give you a background. My employer processed my I-140 which got approved in Dec 2012. My priority date is March 2012. I had to return to India last year for some personal reasons. My H1B petition has been revoked within couple of months I landed in India. I am not sure if I-140 is revoked too. I raised a FOIA request to seek information about my I-140 (copy of my petition) from USCIS. I mentioned my petition number (LINXXXXXXXXXXXX) in the request. I have received the following response from USCIS.

Dear ___

Your request was received in this office on Nov XX, 2013 regarding the subject : Receipt # (LINXXXXXXXXXXXX). After assessing your request, we determined that the responsive records are not under the purview of USCIS. We recommend that you redirect your request to the following government agency:

National Visa Center/ US. Department of State
Office of Information Programs and Services, SA-2
A/GIS/IPS/RL/RC
515 22nd Street, NW
Washington, DC

If you should have additional questions on the above subject, please direct your inquiries to the National Visa Center.

Regards,
____

Did anyone receive a similar response. I am planning to approach the mentioned agency for processing my request. If anyone has any related experience, please do share.

Thanks,
Sid

Hi Sid,

Just wanted to touch base and see, if you were able to obtain your I-140 APPROVAL.

1) Did you forward your FOIA request to Dept of State / National Visa center ?

2) Did you re-word your FOIA request and submitted back to USCIS ?

3) Did you find out what was the reason of USCIS referring NVC for your FOIA request ?

Did someone else encounter the same situation ?

@k_lalit_n

I forwarded the request to NVC

2. Nope. I was told by USCIS that once I-140 is approved, US state department has the file

3. See above.

When I contacted NVC via email (asknvc@state.gov), I received a response from them with my full case details (NVC Case# etc.). However, I haven't received the I-140 approval copy. I sent another request to them 1 month back and awaiting response.

Thanks,

Sid