I-864 back off options

kamrans

Hi gurus,

I filled I-864 for a unknown guy just because he pretended himself to be needy. Now I know the truth and would like to back off from I-864. He filed fiance visa for his wife in other country. USCIS asked for I-864 and I filled it and now case is gone to NVC. I filled it in May 2013. Now its new year tax season. Should I consider that NVC or embassy will ask again for I-864 or should I call NVC or embassy to ask them that I want to back off from what I filled. 

Please guide me as I know it will haunt me in future. 

Thanks

You are on the hook for support for 10 years or until that person meets other requirements that terminate your responsibilities .  NEVER, EVER agree to sponsor if you are not willing to support the other person to 125% of the poverty level AND reimburse the government for benefits that person received.

It is too late for you but maybe others will investigate before committing themselves.

Hi gurus,
I filled I-864 for a unknown guy just because he pretended himself to be needy. Now I know the truth and would like to back off from I-864

Not possible. Once you signed it, you are on the hook for it.

It would have been your responsibility to verify that person's claims. Signing anything for a "unknown guy" is always a bad idea.

Archived