All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
shubhro86

H4 Visa Query

Hello,

I am an H1 visa holder, My wife would like to apply for an H4 visa. She has been to US couple of years back for pursuing her Phd degree. However she had to discontinue her studies because of a family emergency and had to come back to India. She did get a Social Security Number as she worked in the grad school as a Research Assistant.. 

Now, she wants to apply for an H4 visa. Does her Social Security still remain valid ? Should she put her old social security number and her stint at grad school as a part of her employment history on the DS 160 form ?

Thanks,

Shubhro

Hello,

I am an H1 visa holder, My wife would like to apply for an H4 visa. She has been to US couple of years back for pursuing her Phd degree. However she had to discontinue her studies because of a family emergency and had to come back to India. She did get a Social Security Number as she worked in the grad school as a Research Assistant.. 

Now, she wants to apply for an H4 visa. Does her Social Security still remain valid ? Should she put her old social security number and her stint at grad school as a part of her employment history on the DS 160 form ?

Thanks,

Shubhro

Yes, her SSN remains the same. If she has not worked as teaching assistant or research assistant then just being in grad school does not count as employment.

Hi There,

Scince you have started this topic, I wanted to ask the question I have related to H4-DS-160 form:

I am just filling up the DS-160 and I am struck at Previous Work/Education/Training Information section:
I am filling this application in H4 category and ( I applied for H1B in May-2012 and It got approved in Jan -2013 but in Feb-2013 I delivered baby and I could not join the job and then I changed my status to H4 along with my husbands H1 extension)
Now i am filling DS-160 to attend for H4 stamping In India and when I am filling the form I am confused with the question --Were you previously employed? should i select Yes or No here? Please provide your opinions.

Thanks In advance!!

A social security number (SSN) is issued and remains valid for your entire life, even if leave the U.S. and return.  (I got my SSN when I was 13 years old and was going into U.S. high school, we then moved back to our home country, and when I returned to the U.S. 20 years later I used my SSN right away.)

Yes, your wife needs to include her SSN and that she worked as a research assistant when pursuing her PhD as employment.

Hi There,

Scince you have started this topic, I wanted to ask the question I have related to H4-DS-160 form:

I am just filling up the DS-160 and I am struck at Previous Work/Education/Training Information section:

I am filling this application in H4 category and ( I applied for H1B in May-2012 and It got approved in Jan -2013 but in Feb-2013 I delivered baby and I could not join the job and then I changed my status to H4 along with my husbands H1 extension)

Now i am filling DS-160 to attend for H4 stamping In India and when I am filling the form I am confused with the question --Were you previously employed? should i select Yes or No here? Please provide your opinions.

Thanks In advance!!

If you had worked you need to mention those details. If not your answer has to be NO.

My question is somewhat related to this thread so I am posting here. 

I am a student on F1 about to complete my PhD. I am also doing internship simultaneously in a company during this time (2 yrs). I did most of my dissertation work at this company. Unfortunately I lost my OPT so I am planning to go on H4 right after graduation. I plan to visit india and get it stamped there. My question is regarding the DS 160 form for my H4 application. 

What will my current occupation be? STUDENT? or should I select the category 'OTHERS' and write about my internship here? 

*I cannot write about my internship experience in the 'previous employment' section because my internship will end on Feb 25th 2014 and it would not let me put a future date (since this is a previous employer information.) *

So I feel the best option I have is to describe my student/internship situation in the current occupation. I want to know if this is okay since there is no way to find out what is wrong or right.

I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks!

Hi There,

Thanks In advance!!

Hi Will2day,

My spouse is in same boat. came to US in H4. applied for H1 and got approved. applied for change of status for H4 to take care of baby. never worked on H1.

Should enter SSN info in DS-160?

Were you previously employed?  Yes or No?

Thanks.

Hi Will2day,

My spouse is in same boat. came to US in H4. applied for H1 and got approved. applied for change of status for H4 to take care of baby. never worked on H1.

Should enter SSN info in DS-160?

Were you previously employed?  Yes or No?

Thanks.

Enter SSN number.

If she worked for employer then answer is YES. Otherwise NO