H1 Visa Approved in Calgary- Jan 2, 2014

hriday

Here is my experience:

Calgary Stay: 

I took little expensive approach but a safer approach on staying and arriving to Calgary. As weather here is Calgary keeps on changing, I took flight to YYC 5 day prior to the interview. Booked "Delta Bow Valley Hotel" in downtown, which is a block away from the US Consulate.  For 4 days went around Calgary downtown. You can always stay in any cheaper hotels around the airport and take a cab or shuttle to Downtown. (This will be your cheaper option if you don't have any place to stay in Calgary) 

My preparation: 

Got all the documents ready and printed  out before I came to Calgary. This forum really helped me while preparing the documents. This is the checklist link that I followed: 

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/47718-complete-package-h1b-stamping-questions-checklist-pims-client-questions-all-in-one/

Consulate Experience: 

Checked out the Consulate location a day prior to the interview. Checked with the guard what not to bring at the consulate a day prior. Took all the documents that I prepared in a plastic bag as big bags are not allowed.

Keys/Cell Phones/ Bags/ any electronic devices are not allowed inside the consulate.

On the interview day, I had a nice sleep and got ready with my documents and got dressed up. There is a coffee shop on the first floor of the building "TIM Hortons". Reached at the coffee shop at 6:50 am, had coffee and breakfast there. As my interview time was 8:00 am I came to door at 7:15 am, where the guard asked all the 8 am appointment people to remain on the line against the wall.

First Check point: 

Documents at the Door: Guard checked :  

i) The DS-160 confirmation Page (Document and bar-code and you photo in it).   

ii) Passport 

iii) Appointment Confirmation Page that you receive once the appointment date is scheduled.  (Document with Appointment Information, Applicant      Details, Counsular Information, and Loomis Information) 

Once you pass that check, you'll be scanned for any unauthorized things in your pocket and then a lady asks how old is the photo in the application and checks the Canadian Visa in the passport. She gets you a token number and rolls the passport+ the application confirmation page + I-797 Approval document with a rubber band. 

Second Check point: 

After all this one of the guard will take you to the 10th floor as a group in the main consular office then have to go through the security check again. 

Once done with the check we are let into the consular office where the actual interview in happening. First we've to turn in the documents with the rubber band to a officer in one of the window. Then we've to scan our finger prints. I think they confirm the PIMS confirmation at this point. If your PIMS is good they mark as PIMS verified on the top of the application confirmation page. 

I waited for an hour before my number was called. 

VO questions:

i) How long have you been working for? 

ii) Who is your employer? 

iii) When did you complete your degree? 

iv) When did you start you work? 

v) What did you do before you started your work? 

vi) You work at clients place? 

vii) What do you do their? 

VO didn't check a single document that I prepared. But this doesn't mean you don't have to be prepared : ) Do prepare all the documents. 

Finally, he took all the document with the rubber band and gave me a sheet of paper with the Loomis info in it. He said, your visa has been approved. 

Hope this will help who ever is going to Calgary for their Stamping. 

Just have patience and be confident. 

Good luck. 

Archived