My passport impounded in India

H1B_sanibhagvan

As i am came to US in H4 visa about 8 months back. Earlier I had applied for the passport in tatkal and got it by Feb 2013. No police verification till i was in India. I came to US by May 2013. Now i have received continuous emails regarding my passport impounding because of adverse police verification report. I replied i was not in India. Recently they have sent email that my passport has been impounded under section 10(3)(b) of the Passports Act, 1967 and Section 12(1)(b) of the Passport Act, 1967. Could you please let me know, whether i can apply for a new passport here in US or i should fly back to India to apply for a new passport.

As i am came to US in H4 visa about 8 months back. Earlier I had applied for the passport in tatkal and got it by Feb 2013. No police verification till i was in India. I came to US by May 2013. Now i have received continuous emails regarding my passport impounding because of adverse police verification report. I replied i was not in India. Recently they have sent email that my passport has been impounded under section 10(3)(b) of the Passports Act, 1967 and Section 12(1)(b) of the Passport Act, 1967. Could you please let me know, whether i can apply for a new passport here in US or i should fly back to India to apply for a new passport.

Contact an immigration attorney or go to your nearest Indian consulate and get their help. 

What will an Immigration Lawyer do in this case? The OP should ask his Embassy for clarification and may need to return and sort this out first. He can of course take the help of a Lawyer in India.

An immigration attorney would advise OP about his current status in US when his passport is being revoked by his home country.

The OP would seem to have more pressing matters than worrying about US Immigration. The fact that the Passport is impounded has no significance . The OP needs to contact his governments embassy and ask for appropriate guidance. The OP has legal permission to stay here. The only thing is he fails to mention the reason for the action which could be important.

The OP would seem to have more pressing matters than worrying about US Immigration. The fact that the Passport is impounded has no significance . The OP needs to contact his governments embassy and ask for appropriate guidance. The OP has legal permission to stay here. The only thing is he fails to mention the reason for the action which could be important.

I agree, pontevecchio. But, doesn't revoking of passport make the person stateless in a foreign country?

I am actually not sure about the role of a lawyer in this. Will he/she file a petition for not impounding my passport. How long it will take him to clear my passport ?? Also i have plans for filling h1b visa this year(2014).

Feeling restless. Sometimes i think i can go to India and submit my impounded passport and apply for a new passport in tatkal and return back to US by march 2014 for applying h1b visa. Is this adviseable.. ??

Please guide me as my wife is pergnant and we are expecting by May 2014.

Adverse police verification report. After I come to US there was an post verification. In my absense My dad said that I worked in bangalore for past one year. But i have a applied in tatkal with my native address with all proofs having same. Now police gives me an adverse report only because of this. No other criminal case or nothing to take very serious action like this.

I have asked my dad to contact lawyer regarding this. Can you tell me how come a lawyer will help if my passport is already impounded. I have no idea about this.

You or the lawyer needs to clear up whatever caused the passport to be confiscated.

• 8 months later...

Hi Aarya,

I am exactly facing the same issue as of yours. Basically I work in Ireland. I've applied for re-issue of passport in Coimbatore passport office with my native address and in post police verification my dad told that I've worked in Bangalore which has failed the verification and an adverse report was sent to passport office.

Now my passport has been impounded under section 10(3)(b). I am completely clueless and afraid to travel back to India and to surrender the passport as I've the risk of losing the job if the re-verification has delayed . I'd like to know what has happened in your case.

Any information would be of great help

Thanks for reading,

Varatha

Hi Aarya,

I am exactly facing the same issue as of yours. Basically I work in Ireland. I've applied for re-issue of passport in Coimbatore passport office with my native address and in post police verification my dad told that I've worked in Bangalore which has failed the verification and an adverse report was sent to passport office.

Now my passport has been impounded under section 10(3)(b). I am completely clueless and afraid to travel back to India and to surrender the passport as I've the risk of losing the job if the re-verification has delayed . I'd like to know what has happened in your case.

Any information would be of great help

Thanks for reading,

Varatha

So, why would your father (assuming on your request) lie about where you are working???

Why do people think they can lie about such things??? Dis you really think they can't check this stuff???

Geez. Tell the TRUTH! It isn't rocket science.

My dad din't lie. The issue here is I've gone through an agent and given my native address unknowingly as I was in a hurry. On police verification my dad had said I worked in bangalore and sent onsite currently residing there. So an adverse report has been sent stating the person works in abroad but have given native address for last one year address proof.

It is completely my fault due to ignorance and nothing intentional.

No I am looking for suggestions to solve this issue?

Can the embassy be of any help in this matter ?

My dad din't lie. The issue here is I've gone through an agent and given my native address unknowingly as I was in a hurry. On police verification my dad had said I worked in bangalore and sent onsite currently residing there. So an adverse report has been sent stating the person works in abroad but have given native address for last one year address proof.

Staying abroad you cannot request passport office in India to issue you a passport. Either you should have applied for one when you had gone to India or requested one at an Indian consulate. Going through an agent is a NO-NO for so many years in India as everything has been streamlined. Contact a good attorney in India to address this issue.

It comes out the same: A lie!

Being "in a hurry" is not an excuse. You can be expected to double-check things.

You have to 'fess up to it and not use lame excuses. And you probably need a lawyer to fix it, etc., whatever the Indian law requires.

Archived