Sent N400 and now marriage!

Shaans

Greetings everyone.

I just sent my N400 application (Dec 2013) for naturalization/citizenship and after checking the status for AZ office - their processing times are 5 months (so May 2014).

I will be traveling to India in Feb 2014 to get married to my girl-friend (who is on a work visa in UK but will be traveling to India for marriage).

My questions:

1) I was wondering if anyone here could guide me as to what steps I need to take to have her accompany me to the US at the earliest possible after our marriage.

2) Can she apply for a US visitor visa from either London or Delhi and stay with me for the approved duration? Can I file for her GC while she is here or does she have to be overseas?

3) Can I travel overseas after having applied for my N400? What if I am absent for my finger printing appointment? Can this be rescheduled?

Thank you and kind regards.

Your wife will just have to wait outside the US until she receives her GC.  She would have to admit to her marriage at border and would most likely be denied entry on B2.

If you marry a non-citizen -especially while a LPR - you will be inconvenienced. There are no shortcuts as there are many others in the same situation. If she already holds an H1B, she can have her sponsor employer her in the US.

You can file her paperwork as an LPR immediately after your marriage and upgrade once you naturalize. 

You are free to stay with her outside the US as long as you do not abandon your LRP.

Okay, in that case I might have to delay my marriage to after I receive the cizitenship. 

1) A local immigration lawyer today told me that the processing for Fiance visa is taking ~5 months compared to Spouse visa which is taking ~10 months. Has anyone dealt with these visa types and is the duration accurate?

2) I will be getting my citizenship in May 2014. My girl-friend is planning to visit the US on a visitor visa. 
a) If she comes here in May 2014, can I get married to her in court with the intent that we do not file for an adjustment of status (I don't want to get into any legal troubles). So she will leave the country prior to her visitor visa expiring.
b) Also, while she is in the US on visitor visa and after I receive my citizenship, can I file for her Spouse visa while she is in the US. I don't want to lose any time and I am thinking while she's in the US for 6 months on visitor visa - I can file for her Spouse and by the time she leaves in 6 months - she would only have to be away for 4 months more before she gets the Spouse visa (assuming the processing takes a total of 10 months). Can this also work for Fiance visa if I choose to go that route?

Thank you!

There is one notable problem with your planning -- your girlfriend / fiancé is not eligible for a B visitor visa as her intent is to immigrate to the U.S. (even if she plans on leaving the U.S. and then return).  A B visitor visa does not allow (dual) immigration intent.  She will be deemed has having immigration intent since the purpose of her visit is to be with her fiancé (you) and you are a permanent resident planning on applying for naturalization.

Archived