What will happen to medical bills of a deceased immigrant?

vik_ind

Hi,

My mom visited US this year and was in a healthy condition. We were visting f places in US but suddenly she has a breathing problem so I called 911 and they took her to emergency. The worst part is she was diagonised with cancer and was in hospital for almost 3 weeks and she passed away.

Now the hostipal bill are coming to my address on her name but there were two letter for me asking to provide some information. But I haven't yet replied to any mail till now.

Will those medical bills be my responsibility?

Should I take an advice from a lawyer? If yes, which lawyer?

What's the worst case scenario?

After all the pain I suffered seeing her at the hospital I have to go through this....:(

Please help.

Thanks.

Why did you not take travel insurance for her?  Pay the bills. She was your mother. Why should the US taxpayer or other patients at that hospital pay her bills?  Contact the hospital to discuss payment arrangements. Cancer treatment is not emergency Medicaid.

(And people wonder why medical care in the US is so expensive.)

Hi,

My mom visited US this year and was in a healthy condition. We were visting f places in US but suddenly she has a breathing problem so I called 911 and they took her to emergency. The worst part is she was diagonised with cancer and was in hospital for almost 3 weeks and she passed away.

Now the hostipal bill are coming to my address on her name but there were two letter for me asking to provide some information. But I haven't yet replied to any mail till now.

Will those medical bills be my responsibility?

Should I take an advice from a lawyer? If yes, which lawyer?

What's the worst case scenario?

After all the pain I suffered seeing her at the hospital I have to go through this....:(

Please help.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your heading is conflicting. Is your mom on an immigrant or non-immigrant status in US?

@t75: she entered US with the insurance but for only 3 months so I had taken 2 insurance while she was here for the next 3 months.

The insurance company are trying to reject as I had given US address.

The other insurance is trying to get more information on her pre existing condition which she doesn't have (cancer).

The bill is more than 300k for around 3 weeks.

@jairichi: sorry she came here on visitor visa.

@t75: she entered US with the insurance but for only 3 months so I had taken 2 insurance while she was here for the next 3 months.

The insurance company are trying to reject as I had given US address.

The other insurance is trying to get more information on her pre existing condition which she doesn't have (cancer).

The bill is more than 300k for around 3 weeks.

@jairichi: sorry she came here on visitor visa.

Talk to an attorney who specializes on insurance claims. I am sure they would be able to help. And, also take the help of attorney to talk with hospital authorities and to reply to mails asking for information.

• 1 month later...

Just tell the hospital you cannot pay.  I work for a hospital and yes, they find people who can do the charity and will clear your bill or just write it off.  But, you have to go and talk to them first.

Talking to an attorney is useless, if the hospital cannot help you can then go to an attorney, but i think it wouldn't be necessary.  Good luck and sorry for your loss.

Archived