H1B with one university and H1B extension with another

veerun14

Hello all,

I have a question. I am currently on H1B with a Master's degree from one university. Can I file for H1B extension with a degree from another university?

please help 

If your initial H1B was considered under Master's quota with degree obtained from university A and if it was approved in error by USCIS as that university is not accredited or a for-profit one then you cannot apply for extension. Your H1B extension will be denied and also your initial H1B petition.

Let me guess, the Masters degree is from a shady for-profit institution, right?

No, you can't change this when filing an extension. The extension will get denied and your H1 will get rescinded.

You will have to return to your home country, and get a new H1 under the quota after a year abroad.

You have learned the hard way that these "cheap" universities aren't cheap. You just pay with your career later.

People need to avoid all these unknown for-profit schools. Enrolling at a real university, like a public university, is the only safe way.

I understand and accept it.

It is not USCIS fault. The fault lies with attorney and me for not knowing. I completely get it. if I had a chance to do it again, sure I would do it differently.

what I heard from SanBob and him talking to the attorneys, is that if your original H1B was approved (yes, as an error), but by the time it was approved on that year, if there was General quota still open, some attorneys raised this case and looks like they have won on it.

I am asking you guys( joeF, jairichi) as I can clearly see you are senior members and give advise to future students not to attend these schools ---what do you think of this point.

I know you have seen a lot of cases like this --but I want to get your experience on this specific point

We have been warning prospective and current students about problems for a long time.  The forums such as this are some of the first places people learned of issues with these degrees. We cannot help it if people thought the "they" are special and won't get caught.

I understand and accept it.

It is not USCIS fault. The fault lies with attorney and me for not knowing. I completely get it. if I had a chance to do it again, sure I would do it differently.

what I heard from SanBob and him talking to the attorneys, is that if your original H1B was approved (yes, as an error), but by the time it was approved on that year, if there was General quota still open, some attorneys raised this case and looks like they have won on it.

I am asking you guys( joeF, jairichi) as I can clearly see you are senior members and give advise to future students not to attend these schools ---what do you think of this point.

I know you have seen a lot of cases like this --but I want to get your experience on this specific point

In my opinion I would suggest you to get the contact details of the attorney who had successfully handled this case and give a try.

I rather doubt that such change to the normal quota would be possible.

Even if the normal quota was still open back then, other people have been selected for it, and the numbers have been used up. It is not possible to now pull a number from the normal quota out of thin air. Essentially, they would have to switch somebody else retroactively to the Masters quota to make a number in the normal quota available. I don't think they are going to do that, it could open a whole can of worms, up to potentially invalidating the whole lottery at the last day of quota availability.

I have not seen a lawyer saying that they won any such case.

Archived