H1B EXTENSION denied digging back to University's for-profit status

SanBob

@t75...dude, don't just post whatever you like. I did not start this thread to hear stupid comments like yours. This clearly shows you did not understand my issue. I did not get a degree from a shady university. It's just profit organization. The univ I did masters has got accreditation and masters has a value. That's purely the mistake of the attorney who filled my application without following the proper rules. The attorney firm has accepted their failure and you are blaming me here. I did my research and even posted my solution here thinking that would help others. You have no right to blame me. If possible give a suggestion or spread the word so that it helps others. If I or anyone knew about what happens in future, no one gets issues. I am leaving everything behind, sold my car, in the process of paying credit cards and am leaving the country properly. If I have chosen the easy way, I need not do all these. I can just fly back. Think few times before posting some comments. Try to understand other's pain you jobless jack.

I have yet to see a degree from a for-profit university that has value...

t75 is right, you went for a cheap degree. You have now found out that this cheap degree ended up costing you way more than if you had gone to a public university (or a non-profit private university, like Stanford or USC...)

It all started with *your* decision to sign up with a for-profit institution. Such institutions, even the accredited ones, care about your money, they don't care about anything else.

It all started with *your* decision. Take responsibility for your decisions, and don't blame others.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, now everyone's started talking. To be clear, I am not blaming anyone here. I do not know this for profit univ and details when I joined that univ. All I knew was it has accreditation. I thought that would do. I told many times that my attorneys did not alert me when filing h1. I am not blaming them as well. USCIS just started looking into this rule seriously. I don't know what to say as no one can understand my loss except me. As I said, I posted my opinion here to get some suggestions or to help someone. If you have any suggestions, please let me or others know. Or else, I don't need your blame as you have no right to do so. It is already done and that's my loss. Sad to see people blaming someone when they are already in pain. Things might have worked well for few, but not to all. Stop this blaming game. Thanks!

USCIS just started looking into this rule seriously. I don't know what to say as no one can understand my loss except me.

That's the problem with USCIS dude. They start digging into the rules whenever they wake up...!!!!

But they got rights to revoke the approved application at any time. So don't take anything for granted w.r.t immigration.

Even USCs are taken advantage of by for-profit so called institutions of higher learning. As far as I am concerned, education is not one of those fields where institutional profit is appropriate; note, this is not the same as being paid a fair salary for work.  It is a major issue when it comes to the student loans most students take out to pay for their education.  Unfortunately, they are really good at advertising (how much of the tuition goes to that, I wonder) and signing people up.

You will do your family and friends a favor if you emphasize that people wishing to attend school in the US should look first at state universities and local community colleges and technical schools. These are the best value and are the greatest number. Next look at non-profit private institutions. Many are affiliated with religious groups but one does not have to be a member of that religion to attend although the religious traditions may be required in the curriculum or campus life.

Avoid distance learning and credit for life experience programs. For the most part, these are shady. Some distance programs affiliated with nationally recognized universities are coming available, but they are few.  One way I mentioned several weeks ago to tell if a school is legitimate is if it has NCAA sports programs.  These are at several levels (Div 1, div 3,...) The entry requirements into the collegiate sports world will keep the fly-by-night schools out. Other legitimate schools do not have sorts programs but the vast majority have something affiliated with NCAA.  If they are so small they do not, they are unlikely to be able to meet your needs.

If you are in engineering and computer programs, check ABET.  If a school does not have an accredited undergraduate program, run the other way.

In the US it is "Let the buyer beware."  OP, you went for cheap or easy and lost. QYB

Wow, now everyone's started talking. To be clear, I am not blaming anyone here. I do not know this for profit univ and details when I joined that univ. All I knew was it has accreditation.!

So, you didn't do your homework.

That confirms what has been said. It all started with YOUR wrong decision. You wanted a cheap degree. And now you found out the hard way that it came with a much steeper price tag than a REAL university would have.

Take responsibility for your decisions, and don't blame others/USCIS/etc. It started with YOUR decision.

@t75, what you said is right. That's what I am doing now. Alerting family and friends about theses cases.

@joeF, all you can do is BLAME BLAME BLAME. I told hundred times that this is already happened. And you keep telling me to take responsibility. If not I, who else would take responsibility?? Thanks for your replies dude, please take a break. I do not want to extend this conversation. I never saw a person like you who keeps blaming someone for the mistake already happened. I pity about the people around/in your life. Please stop boss. Consider this as my final request.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am leaving US in couple of days. I hope at least few people got some answers from my case. All the best to those who are having similar issues. My sincere suggestion is to go for a better attorney who knows what they are talking about. Few replies in this thread really made me to think that I made a wrong decision by posting my issue here. Be aware of these negative people. All they do is just blame you for the things already done and they won't give any suggestions. Wishing everyone a very happy new year ahead. Take care guys :)

One last thing guys, Stratford was not a cheap and easy univ when I did masters back in 2010. It costed me almost the same(May be few thousand dollars less than some big univs) to get the degree and importantly, I had to attend ALL the classes in ALL quarters to get the degree. It was and still now not like other univs that give cpt for your course period. I am not saying all these to defend that univ, just wanted to make sure to those with some negative opinions about these medium range univs that they give for your entire course and you don't have to attend classes. Our dean was very particular about attending classes. I never got a day of cpt in my course period. I applied for opt after completing masters. All I wanted to say is I did not join Stratford because it was cheap and easy(at least when I graduated).

One last thing guys, Stratford was not a cheap and easy univ when I did masters back in 2010. It costed me almost the same(May be few thousand dollars less than some big univs) to get the degree and importantly, I had to attend ALL the classes in ALL quarters to get the degree. It was and still now not like other univs that give cpt for your course period. I am not saying all these to defend that univ, just wanted to make sure to those with some negative opinions about these medium range univs that they give for your entire course and you don't have to attend classes. Our dean was very particular about attending classes. I never got a day of cpt in my course period. I applied for opt after completing masters. All I wanted to say is I did not join Stratford because it was cheap and easy(at least when I graduated).

Stratford IS a cheap and really bad institution.

You still try to deflect blame. You are still not taking responsibility, you just try cheap excuses.

A degree from that or similar institutions has no value. It just is a waste of time and money.

• 5 weeks later...

@sanbob really appriciate you shaing your case and your 2 cents on this issue on filing H1b using Profit univ degree.

An old proverb says: an elephant never minds barking dogs, but highlight is that the dog 'keeps barking even with no reaction' from the elephant. I really appreciate your effort for sharing what you have been through and you dont need to justify your choices you have made.  can you inbox your contact number to veyron_123@yahoo.com so i can reachout to you and get some details on your finding. I wish you all the very best for your Career

@sanbob really appriciate you shaing your case and your 2 cents on this issue on filing H1b using Profit univ degree.

An old proverb says: an elephant never minds barking dogs, but highlight is that the dog 'keeps barking even with no reaction' from the elephant. I really appreciate your effort for sharing what you have been through and you dont need to justify your choices you have made.  can you inbox your contact number to veyron_123@yahoo.com so i can reachout to you and get some details on your finding. I wish you all the very best for your Career

Ahh, another one who tried to "save money" and ended up killing his career in the US.

You get what you pay for, and that means you being cheap cost you your life's career.

Good riddance.

• 2 months later...

I have similar situation of intent to denial notice from USCIS on my original H1b  petition while I applied for extension...Can  I apply for change of status by applying to a university for second masters or a PHD program?

My current H1 b expired in Jan 2014 and I see that my it will be denied once I answer to the notice anyways. The question is when I apply for change of status with an I-20 , do I have to cross the border, get it stamped and come back again?

Please suggest/advice...

Thanks in advance.

I have similar situation of intent to denial notice from USCIS on my original H1b  petition while I applied for extension...Can  I apply for change of status by applying to a university for second masters or a PHD program?

My current H1 b expired in Jan 2014 and I see that my it will be denied once I answer to the notice anyways. The question is when I apply for change of status with an I-20 , do I have to cross the border, get it stamped and come back again?

Please suggest/advice...

Thanks in advance.

Forget F1. After working on H1 you cannot go back to F1. You already misused H1 by using invalid master's degree for H1 approval.

File H1 next year without using your master's degree. That's the best option you have.

Please suggest/advice...

Thanks in advance.

You don't seem to have any clue about what a PhD means. It certainly is not a "shortcut" to get an H1.

A PhD is about research. You would spend a couple of years eat, drink and sleep the research. This is not like taking some classes.

And of course, doing anything at a shady university would not help you at all.

It is obvious that you haven't learned the lesson yet.

Avoid these shady or outright fraud "universities."

OK! A second masters from reputed university will do good my career and status too in long run. And I have applied for admission in reputed Universities and waiting for their response.

Questions:

1. Do I have to go to home country to get my New Student Visa stamped? or even going to Mexico or Canada would be allowed?

• 2 weeks later...

That's good, and be prepared for your H1 related questions during the F1 interview.

All the best.

MY original F1 Visa is valid till Aug 2014 , thought my H1 is expired in Jan 2014 and H1 b extension petition is pending with a intent of denial letter - I can take an I-20 from reputed institution this time and go to port of entry, get I-20 stamped with new sevis and new I-94 - this is confirmed by Murthy firm attorney only.

MY original F1 Visa is valid till Aug 2014 , thought my H1 is expired in Jan 2014 and H1 b extension petition is pending with a intent of denial letter - I can take an I-20 from reputed institution this time and go to port of entry, get I-20 stamped with new sevis and new I-94 - this is confirmed by Murthy firm attorney only.

Getting I20 takes like 3-4 months from ANY reputed institution in US.

• 7 months later...