All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sanjaypatilusa

L1-H1 Clock Reset & cooling period

L1-H1 Clock Reset : I came back to India on 30-Jan-2013 from USA as my L1 visa was expired. Presently I am staying in India. Now My H1B has been approved and I want to go to USA.

But (1) I would like to complete 1 year of cooling period in India sothat  my old stay record will not be considered in future and I can stay for continuous duration of 6 years (including H1 extension after 3 years) (Happy Scenario). Is this True ?

(2) If yes, then how 1 year period should be calculated? For Ex. my USA move out date was 30-Jan-2013 then new USA move-in date would be either H1 Stamp Date or new I-94 date (i.e. the day when I’ll reach to USA)? Please suggest.

(3)    I also heard that if you apply through fresh H1 quota then this calculation of 1 year is not applied. Whenever I’ll reach to USA, I’ll be eligible to stay for continuous duration of 6 years (including H1 extension after 3 years) (Happy Scenario).

(4) Can I transfer my H1B visa to another employer when I am staying in India ?

Thank You.

L1-H1 Clock Reset : I came back to India on 30-Jan-2013 from USA as my L1 visa was expired. Presently I am staying in India. Now My H1B has been approved and I want to go to USA.

But (1) I would like to complete 1 year of cooling period in India sothat  my old stay record will not be considered in future and I can stay for continuous duration of 6 years (including H1 extension after 3 years) (Happy Scenario). Is this True ?

(2) If yes, then how 1 year period should be calculated? For Ex. my USA move out date was 30-Jan-2013 then new USA move-in date would be either H1 Stamp Date or new I-94 date (i.e. the day when I’ll reach to USA)? Please suggest.

(3)    I also heard that if you apply through fresh H1 quota then this calculation of 1 year is not applied. Whenever I’ll reach to USA, I’ll be eligible to stay for continuous duration of 6 years (including H1 extension after 3 years) (Happy Scenario).

(4) Can I transfer my H1B visa to another employer when I am staying in India ?

Thank You.

1, 2 & 3. No. To get 6 years on H1B you should have stayed 365 days outside US before a H1B petition is filed. In your case only if your H1B petition was filed in Jan 2014 you will be eligible for 6 years on H1B. Now you would get 6 years - time spent on L1.

4. Yes.

Hi,

I have been in US from 2006 till 2013 and in between I had been in India too for few months. Finally I came back to India on November 2013 and till then I am in India. Can you please advise when I will be eligible to apply for new L1A again.

I have provided the details of my stay in US as below.

My Stay in USA : in Last 7 Yrs
----------------------
IN                  OUT                  Visa Type
-------------------------
02/25/2006 To 04/22/2007         L1B
10/19/2007 To 10/18/2008         L1B
11/16/2008 To 08/03/2011         L1B
10/19/2011 To 11/05/2013         L1A

Thanks,
Subir

Hi,

I have been in US from 2006 till 2013 and in between I had been in India too for few months. Finally I came back to India on November 2013 and till then I am in India. Can you please advise when I will be eligible to apply for new L1A again.

I have provided the details of my stay in US as below.

My Stay in USA : in Last 7 Yrs
----------------------
IN                  OUT                  Visa Type
-------------------------
02/25/2006 To 04/22/2007         L1B
10/19/2007 To 10/18/2008         L1B
11/16/2008 To 08/03/2011         L1B
10/19/2011 To 11/05/2013         L1A

Thanks,
Subir

You will be eligible to apply for fresh L1A only after spending 365 days outside US i.e. you will be eligible by 11/05/2014.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. One question, from 2006 till date I have spent more than 365 days in India (in between my US visit). Does it not count?

Thanks,

Subir

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. One question, from 2006 till date I have spent more than 365 days in India (in between my US visit). Does it not count?

Thanks,

Subir

Nope. It is not total 365 days but continuous 365 days outside US.

Hi - I worked in US for 5 years with L1B visa. End of 5th year my employer applied L1A and I got denial status.  My wife still works in US on H1B - Now I'm in Canada with work permit visa and I also got H4 stamping in Canada.  Is it ok to Visit my family in US regularly - May be monthly once (I will be entering using H4). Will that impact my 365 cooling period?

Edited by Chen123
spelling correction

Hi,

A company is going to apply for my  H1b cap non-exempt visa in April 2018. If I get selected in the lottery, I want to know how many years I could get on my new H1 visa. Previously, I had L1-B visa from Oct 2012 to Sept 2015. After Sept 2015 I stayed in the US on H4 till date (Jan 2018). Would I get only 3 years on H1 or would I get 6 full years after spending 3 years on H4 ?

1 hour ago, acs12 said:

Hi,

A company is going to apply for my  H1b cap non-exempt visa in April 2018. If I get selected in the lottery, I want to know how many years I could get on my new H1 visa. Previously, I had L1-B visa from Oct 2012 to Sept 2015. After Sept 2015 I stayed in the US on H4 till date (Jan 2018). Would I get only 3 years on H1 or would I get 6 full years after spending 3 years on H4 ?

3 years.

The clock only resets if the person is abroad for at least a year.

8 CFR 214.2(h) and (l):

" An H-1B alien in a specialty occupation or an alien of distinguished merit and ability who has spent six years in the United States under section 101(a)(15)(H) and/or (L) of the Act may not seek extension, change status, or be readmitted to the United States under section 101(a)(15) (H) or (L) of the Act unless the alien has resided and been physically present outside the United States, except for brief trips for business or pleasure, for the immediate prior year."

Hi,

Can you tell me if one can apply for fresh H1B visa cap while in cooling-off period of 1 year?

My situation: My H1B 6years cap will expire in June 2020 (during which month I also plan to travel back to home country). My cool-off period would end in June 2021, however the H1B cap filings for the year would already be over in April 2021. Can I be part of 2021 filing or would I need to wait until 2022 to be able to file for fresh H1B?

Thanks for the reply!

19 hours ago, apoddar said:

Hi,

Can you tell me if one can apply for fresh H1B visa cap while in cooling-off period of 1 year?

My situation: My H1B 6years cap will expire in June 2020 (during which month I also plan to travel back to home country). My cool-off period would end in June 2021, however the H1B cap filings for the year would already be over in April 2021. Can I be part of 2021 filing or would I need to wait until 2022 to be able to file for fresh H1B?

Thanks for the reply!

A new H1 can only be FILED when you have been abroad for at least a year.

If you leave in June 2020, a new H1 could be filed the earliest in June 2021. If the quota is full by then it can only be filed in April 2022.

Edited by JoeF